Do you want an internship?
Do you want to make a difference in children’s lives?
Then the Wish Granting Intake & Assessment Internship in NYC at Make-A-Wish might be for you!
Read on to find out more about the position.
The Wish-Granting Intake & Assessment Intern implements the mission of our organization by assessing the readiness of the family and volunteers to actively work with the wish coordination team. This position helps identify underlying family and health circumstances and cultural norms that may impact the team’s ability to fulfill the child’s wish experience. This position is key to managing Wish-Granting workloads by identifying possible barriers and support in wish delivery in addition to enhancing volunteer training all while managing family expectations. This role requires proficiency with computer systems and phone calls. This position communicates with families solely by phone and e-mail and does not include in-person meetings with families.
Essential Job Functions
• Receive and process wish packs completed by volunteers during interviews with wish kids.
• Communicate national and local Make-A-Wish policies to families and volunteers and ensure each wish is within these guidelines.
• Establish wish parameters with each family and ensure the assessment phase of the wish process proceeds smoothly and in a timely manner.
• Assess the complexity of each wish to create balanced caseloads for the wish-granting staff.
• Document all interactions in the database and digital files.
• Follow up with qualifications and approvals with medical professionals.
• Provide constructive and direct feedback to volunteers.
• Monitor timelines and trends of new wishes.
• Makes a positive contribution to the department and be a collaborative teammate.
• Adequately manages a large workload.
• Enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program with a concentration in social work, psychology, counseling or similar field.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
• Oral and written bilingual skills required. Bilingual Spanish, Mandarin or Arabic preferred.
• Experience in Raiser’s Edge a plus
• Builds rapport and establishes collaborative relationships (internal and external) to achieve objectives.
• Demonstrates required technology skills.
• Demonstrates attention to detail and quality.
• Improve interpersonal and professional skill set.
• Learn to effectively multi-task.
• Learn to work well with others (both staff members and other interns).
• Gain a deep understanding of what the non-profit sector is all about.
• Be able to reflect both critically and constructively on your work as an intern for Make-A-Wish.
• Provide a short end-of-term presentation for staff members and other interns on your experience and what you learned during your internship.
• Must satisfy a minimum requirement of 100 hours
Make-A-Wish® Metro New York and Western New York touches the life of a child diagnosed with a critical illness every 10 hours. We believe that a wish experience can be a game-changer. This one belief guides us in everything we do. Wishes have proven physical and emotional benefits that can give children with critical illnesses a higher chance of survival.
To apply for the position please click here
If you have any questions please feel free to email me at arossetti1@mercy. edu