Are you a Criminal Justice major? Unsure what career you want to pursue? Are you interested in serving those who safeguard your community? Consider a job with the New York City Police Department (NYPD) as a Police Communication Technicians (PCT)! PCTs are 911 service call responders and radio dispatchers for police resources. They also perform clerical and administrative duties related to emergency service. Read on to learn more about a role that leads to a rewarding career!
- Have a four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent PLUS one of the following:
- Have one year full-time paid experience performing clerical duties OR;
- Have one year full-time paid experience performed public contact work requiring the obtaining information OR;
- Have 30 semester college credits in an accredited college or university OR;
- Have two years of active U.S. military duty with honorable discharge;
- Please note: As of 9.18.2020, the residency requirement to live within the 5 boroughs is currently being waved.
- Medical and psychological evaluations, as well as a drug screening, are required to move forward in the application process. This can take 4-6 weeks.
- You must be able to speak and understand English.
- You must be able to prove your identity and your right to obtain employment in the United States
- Take the Civil Service Exam! This is a multiple choice exam completed online. You must score 70% or higher to pass. Questions test your written comprehension, reasoning, information ordering abilities. As of 9.18.2020, there is no scheduled civil service exam for Police Communications Technicians. This position is being offered on a provisional basis. You will be required to pass the exam after appointment. Continually check the Civil Service Exam website for updates.
Hiring Managers for the PCT role are seeking applicants with prior customer service experience. When and how have you helped others? How quickly can you respond and think on your feet? How are your communication skills? Do you know how to handle challenging people and situations? Additionally, language skills are a must. Be well-spoken in and understand English. Bilingual Spanish applicants are highly sought-after as well.
Opportunities for promotion include becoming a Supervisor PCT or Principal PCT. You can also become a Police Officer and move up the ranks (Lieutenant, Captain, etc).
Apply HERE! Act quick – applications close 9/22/2020.
For more information on this role, visit the NYC DCAS website.
Please reach out to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or my colleague, Allen Rossetti (email@example.com) for help with your resume and other application components.
Best of luck,