We are excited to offer you our very first Virtual Career Fair – Career Connections Day! This will be a great way to meet employers, find out about opportunities, learn about industries and organizations, and network. (Temporarily) gone are the days of walking into a large room on campus with rows and rows of employers to impress. Instead, we are faced with signing up for a virtual fair and meeting employers virtually. It is hard to imagine how these big events can be transferred into the digital world, so just dive in, and explore! Here are some tips to help you understand what to expect and how to prepare for Virtual Career Connections Day:
- Update Your Resume: Remember that your resume should be clear, concise, and up to date. Have it uploaded and approved on Handshake before the fair. Make sure you set your resume to “Visible on Profile”. This is the only way employers you meet with will be able to see it during the fair.
- Research Companies: Prior to Virtual Career Connections Day, register for the fair and look at the list of employers and decide who you are interested in speaking with. Research these companies and job openings online before your sessions are scheduled. This will help guide your inquiries and allow you to highlight your related skills.
- Create Your Schedule for the Day: Upon registration, you will be able to sign up for 1:1 sessions and Group Sessions. Make sure you do this before the day of the fair. Add each scheduled meeting to your calendar so you do not miss any scheduled time with employers.
- Prepare Your Elevator Pitch: Prepare an elevator pitch about your education, skills, and future goals. Always start with your name! Make sure these goals relate and align to the employer you will be speaking with. This can be tweaked depending on who you are speaking with.
- Dress Appropriately: Even though you will not be traveling to meet employers, dress appropriately, and look well-groomed for your video meetings. Turn your camera on!
- Check Your Space: Make sure the space you are using is distraction free and quiet. Turn your camera on!
- Test Your Internet and Video Connections: Ensure that your Internet connection is functioning and that your audio/video is working properly.
- Stay Organized: Create a spreadsheet or chart where you can easily input information about the connections you make during the day or the companies to which you submitted your resume.
- Look for common ground with the person with whom you are speaking. Share something unique about yourself or your background that will be memorable. Also, engage in two-way conversation with each representative. Ask questions, look for ways to relate or expand on the conversation.
- Send Thank You Emails: Send thank you emails to all individuals that you made contact with and thank them for their time. This can be the difference between getting the interview or not. Reiterate why you are interested in working for them.
Virtual Career Connections Day will be held on Thursday, October 22nd from 1:00-4:00. Remember to sign up for your sessions in advance!
Hope to see you there!