Are you stuck in preparation for your next virtual career fair or networking event? An excellent way to convey professionalism to employers (which is tougher to do in a virtual world!) is to prepare thoughtful, strong questions. Taking this step demonstrates that you:
- Know what position you are applying for
- Researched the company
- Have a willingness to learn
- Want to make a good first impression
- Took initiative to prepare for this meeting
While some questions are better suited for a one-on-one versus a group meeting, here are 5 questions that every student should be ready to ask an employer:
- What qualities are you looking for in a strong candidate?
- What is a typical day like for someone in this role?
- Can you describe a career path for a person in this position?
- How would you describe the culture of this organization? / How would you describe your team?
- What do you like about working at <Name of Company>?
Bonus!: At the end of the meeting, always THANK the employer for their time! And, ask to connect with them, whether via Handshake, LinkedIn, or via email. For tips on following up after employer meetings, read our Interview Skills Guidebook or schedule a virtual appointment with a career coach!
Attend Mercy College’s Virtual Career Connections Day on Oct 22nd! Register AND sign-up for sessions HERE.
Material for this post provided in part by this Handshake article.