Abbott House is currently seeking a full-time Registered Nurse for our group home/community residence (OMH) in Pleasantville, NY, working with children (ages 9 – 15 years old). The Nurse in the community residence is responsible for working closely with a treatment team that includes a House Manager, a Social Worker, and a small group of Childcare Workers. As an important member of the interdisciplinary team, the Registered Nurse will provide professional Nursing Services. Duties include providing health education, health counseling and the delivery of supportive and restorative care. In addition, the Nurse will participate in staff training, prepare clinical or administrative reports, maintain infection control standards, and provide medication management.
Abbott House offers low cost medical, tuition assistance, child care referral assistance, and more
- Administers medication according to Agency policies and procedures satisfactorily completing an education al program, receiving supervised clinical experience and competence validation.
- Provides direct client care that is consistent with the philosophy of Abbott House and the goals of the Medical Department.
- Contributes to and follows through with the plan of care initiated by the Health Care professional including reinforcement of patient teaching.
- Assesses and evaluates obvious and subtle changes in client status, signs, symptoms and effects of treatments and therapeutic procedures.
- Demonstrates a sound knowledge base in the administration of cursing care for designated population.
- Acts as a liaison to all staff, parents and community services regarding the medical care of the population.
- Collaborates with the Nursing Services Coordinator, Physician, Psychiatrist and all other members of the interdisciplinary team to formulate a goal directed plan of care that includes nursing measures that will facilitate the medical care prescribed and that will restore, maintain or promote the client’s well being.
- Continuously evaluates and documents the results of nursing intervention and updates the medical record with appropriate documentation.
- Involves the child, parent and/or foster parent in decisions related to daily plan of care.
- Develops and initiates a plan of care in coordination with the consumer, foster parent and bio-parent with appropriate.
- Documents within the medical record, instructions given to the child, parent and/or foster parent and their understanding of those instructions.
- Completes all Agency, departmental, and regulatory agency forms according to the guidelines.
- Reviews MAR daily to ensure appropriate use
- Nurse will follow up with the Medical Director.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the goals of Department Quality Assurance and supports implementation.
- Participants in the evaluation and monitoring of the quality and appropriateness of care.
- Collaborates with the Medical Services to improve care and resolve identified problems
- Weekly chart review for each resident.
- Administers care in accordance with safety regulations identified by the Agency.
- Practices within legal parameters related to the delivery of nursing care and is focused on quality care and minimizing risk.
- Demonstrates an awareness and knowledge of the client’s rights while receiving care within the institution.
- Demonstrates and knowledge of the referral mechanism when a child/parent believes their rights have been violated.
- Attends the mandated education programs on an annual basis.
- Maintains current knowledge in nursing practice by participating in formal and informal educational programs.
- Participates in the orientation/staff development of new employees and peers. • Provides medication education to residents, staff and families.
- Provides all necessary training.
- Ensures that all clients, visitors and guests as well as co-workers receive personalized, prompt attention and are treated with receptiveness, dignity and respect.
- Reports any changes in client’s condition and or behavior to the Health Services Coordinator and the appropriate interdisciplinary member and documents these significant changes in the medical record.
- Accepts assigned responsibilities as an accountable member of the health care team.
- ·Notifies appropriate departments of movement of a child within or out of the agency and documents activity in the medical record.
- Notifies appropriate members of the team when a child has an appointment in or out of the agency.
- Current New York State License
- Current American Red Cross CPR certification
- Current experience working with a pediatric population
- Current Malpractice insurance