Abbott House is currently seeking a part-time Registered Nurse or Licensed Professional Nurse for our site in Irvington, NY site. The nurse is responsible for performing tasks under the framework of case-finding, health teaching, health counseling and the provision of supportive and restorative care under a Health Service Coordinator, Licensed Psychiatrist, Physician, Dentist or other health care provider.
To be qualified for the position of Nurse (RN/LPN) in our Mental Health Clinic you will provide professional nursing services appropriate to children served at the clinic. Services may include, but are not limited to, nursing interventions and their documentation, health teaching/counseling and provision of supportive and or restorative care. You will also participate in staff training, prepare clinical or administrative reports, maintain infection control standards, and medication management – provision of medications as prescribed by the provider to the designated child.
- Administers medication according to Agency policies and procedures satisfactorily completing an education al program, receiving supervised clinical experience and competence validation.
- Provides direct client care that is consistent with the philosophy of Abbott House and the goals of the Medical Department.
- Contributes to and follows through with the plan of care initiated by the Health Care professional including reinforcement of patient teaching.
- Assesses and evaluates obvious and subtle changes in client status, signs, symptoms and effects of treatments and therapeutic procedures.
- Demonstrates a sound knowledge base in the administration of nursing care for designated population.
- Acts as a liaison to all staff, parents and community services regarding the medical care of the population.
- Makes onsite visits to outpatient appointments to identify health care issues and provide support, teaching and evaluation.
- Ensures that care rendered in the community meets with agency standards.
- Reviews medical records for accuracy and appropriateness.
- Completes assignments in accordance with acceptable Departmental standards.
- Nursing Procedures/Documentation
- Collaborates with the Nursing Services Coordinator, Physician, Psychiatrist and other members of the interdisciplinary team to formulate a goal directed plan of care that includes nursing measures that will facilitate the medical care prescribed and that will restore, maintain or promote the client’s well being.
- Continuously evaluates and documents the results of nursing intervention and updates the medical record with appropriate documentation.
- Involves the child, parent and/or foster parent in decisions related to daily plan of care.
- Develops and initiates a plan of care in coordination with the consumer, foster parent and bio-parent with appropriate.
- Documents within the medical record, instructions given to the child, parent and/or foster parent and their understanding of those instructions.
- Completes all Agency, departmental, and regulatory agency forms according to the guidelines.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the goals of Department Quality Assurance and supports implementation.
- Participants in the evaluation and monitoring of the quality and appropriateness of care.
- Collaborates with the Health Services Coordinator to improve care and resolve identified problems.
- Administers care in accordance with safety regulations identified by the Agency.
- Practices within legal parameters related to the delivery of nursing care and Departmental functioning to provide a risk free environment.
- Client Rights
- Demonstrates an awareness and knowledge of the client’s rights while receiving care within the institution.
- Demonstrates and knowledge of the referral mechanism when a child/parent believes their rights have been violated.
- Education/Professional Development
- Attends the mandated education programs on an annual basis.
- Maintains current knowledge in nursing practice by participating in formal and informal educational programs.
- Participates in the orientation/staff development of new employees and peers.
- Problem solving
- Seeks consultation from nursing colleagues and others in problematic situations when presenting problem requires knowledge and skills beyond the scope of practice and/or competence or expertise.
- Identifies problems and develops teaching plans that effect Abbott House population.
- Ensures that all clients, visitors and guests as well as co-workers receive personalized, prompt attention and are treated with receptiveness, dignity and respect.
- Reports any changes in clients’ condition or behavior to the Health Services Coordinator and the appropriate interdisciplinary member and documents these significant changes in the medical record.
- Accepts assigned responsibilities as an accountable member of the health care team.
- Notifies appropriate members of the team when a child has an appointment in or out of the agency.
- Safeguards the confidential information acquired from any source about the child/parent and/or foster parent.
- Participates in staff meetings and Agency meetings which influence or determine policy affecting nursing practice.
- Other duties assigned by the Health Care Coordinator by following the office of Mental Health and NYS Department of Health
- Successful completion of an approved RN or LPN program.
- Current New York State License
- Current American Red Cross CPR certification
- Experience working with a pediatric population
- Current Malpractice insurance