Do you enjoy problem-solving and using data to analyze information on a grand scale? Are you passionate about manipulating data to tackle complex internal and external customer problems and improve business results? Do you want to be a part of a fast-paced environment and contribute to one of the most visited sites on the Internet?
At Amazon, we hire the best minds in technology to innovate on behalf of our customers. The intense focus we have on our customers is why we are one of the world’s most beloved brands – customer obsession is part of our company DNA. Data engineers use cutting-edge technology to solve complex problems and get to see the impact of their work first-hand.
The challenges data engineers solve for at Amazon are big and impact millions of customers, sellers, and products around the world. Our path is not always simple, so we are selective about who joins us on this journey. There is a certain kind of person who takes on this role at Amazon – someone who is excited by the idea of creating new products, features, and services from scratch while managing ambiguity and the pace of a company whose ship cycles are measured in weeks, not years.
Come chart your own path at Amazon.
Note: By applying to this position, your application will be considered for all locations we hire for in the United States including but not limited to: Seattle/Bellevue, WA, Nashville, TN; Austin, TX; Greater Bay Area, CA; DC Metro Area; Denver, CO; Detroit, MI; Greater Boston Area, MA; Greater Denver Area, CO; Greater Los Angeles Area, CA; Greater New York Area; Irvine, CA; Madison, WI; Minneapolis, MN; Phoenix, AZ; Portland, OR; San Diego, CA. To qualify, applicants should have earned a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree within the last six months (at time of application) or be on track to earn their Bachelor’s or Master’s degree prior to the role start date.
As a data engineer, you will/may:
· Design, implement, and automate deployment of our distributed system for collecting and processing log events from multiple sources
· Design data schema and operate internal data warehouses and SQL/NoSQL database systems
· Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, and dashboards to drive key business decisions
· Monitor and troubleshoot operational or data issues in the data pipelines
· Drive architectural plans and implementation for future data storage, reporting, and analytic solutions
· Work collaboratively with business analysts, data scientists, and other internal partners to identify opportunities/problems
· Provide assistance to the team with troubleshooting, researching the root cause, and thoroughly resolving defects in the event of a problem
· Currently enrolled in or will receive a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in math/statistics/engineering or other equivalent quantitative discipline at time of application (or graduated less than six months prior to application)
· Experience with one or more query language (e.g., SQL, PL/SQL, DDL, MDX, HiveQL, SparkSQL, Scala)
· Experience with one or more scripting language (e.g., Python, KornShell)
· Experience with data mining, data warehouse solutions, and ETL
· Previous technical internship(s)
· Master’s or advance technical degree
· Experience with several query languages, schema definition languages, and scripting languages
· Experience in writing and optimizing SQL queries in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
· Experience with data visualization software (e.g., AWS QuickSight or Tableau) or open-source project
· Experience with big data processing technology (e.g., Hadoop or ApacheSpark), data warehouse technical architecture, infrastructure components, ETL, and reporting/analytic tools and environments
· Ability to deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.