Do you love building tools and data pipelines? Are you excited by the opportunity to create clear effective reports and data visualizations, and partner with stakeholders to answer key business questions? Do you want to be a part of a fast-paced environment and contribute to one of the most visited sites on the Internet?
If this describes you, consider joining us as an intern in the summer of 2021. Amazon is looking for a data engineer intern to join one our many lines of business. Amazon interns have the opportunity to work alongside the industry’s brightest engineers who innovate everyday on behalf of our customers. You will be matched to a manager and a mentor. You will have the opportunity to impact the evolution of Amazon technology as well as lead mission critical projects early in your career. Your work will contribute to solving some of the most complex technical challenges in the company.
In addition to working on an impactful project, you will have the opportunity to engage with Amazonians for both personal and professional development, expand your network, and participate in fun activities with other interns throughout the summer. No matter the location of your internship, we give you the tools to own your summer and learn in a real world setting.
Come chart your own path at Amazon.
Note: By applying to this position, your application will be considered for all locations we hire for in the United States including but not limited to: Seattle/Bellevue, WA; Nashville, TN; Austin, TX; Greater Bay Area, CA; DC Metro Area; Denver, CO; Detroit, MI; Greater Boston Area, MA; Greater Denver Area, CO; Greater Los Angeles Area, CA; Greater New York Area; Irvine, CA; Madison, WI; Minneapolis, MN; Phoenix, AZ; Portland, OR; San Diego, CA.
Amazon internships are full-time (40 hours/week) for 12 consecutive weeks with start dates in May and June 2021. Applicants should have at a minimum one quarter/semester remaining after their internship concludes.
As a data engineer intern, you will/may:
· Design, implement, and automate deployment of our distributed system for collecting and processing log events from multiple sources
· Design data schema and operate internal data warehouses and SQL/NoSQL database systems
· Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, and dashboards to drive key business decisions
· Monitor and troubleshoot operational or data issues in the data pipelines
· Drive architectural plans and implementation for future data storage, reporting, and analytic solutions
· Work collaboratively with Business Analysts, Data Scientists, and other internal partners to identify opportunities/problems
· Provide assistance to the team with troubleshooting, researching the root cause, and thoroughly resolving defects in the event of a problem
· Currently enrolled in or will receive a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in math/statistics/engineering or other equivalent quantitative discipline with a conferral date after September 2021
· Experience with one or more query language (e.g., SQL, PL/SQL, DDL, MDX, HiveQL, SparkSQL, Scala)
· Experience with one or more scripting language (e.g., Python, KornShell)
· Experience with data mining, data warehouse solutions, and ETL
· Master’s or advance technical degree
· Proficient in at least one or more query language, schema definition language, and scripting language
· Knowledge of writing and optimizing SQL queries in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
· Experience with data visualization software (e.g., AWS QuickSight or Tableau) or open-source project
· Experience with big data processing technology (e.g., Hadoop or ApacheSpark), data warehouse technical architecture, infrastructure components, ETL, and reporting/analytic tools and environments
· Ability to deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.