Are you interested in building hyper-scale database services in the cloud? Do you want to revolutionize the way databases are built for the cloud? Do you want to have direct and immediate impact on hundreds of thousands of users who use AWS database services?
Amazon Aurora offers MySQL and Postgres compatible, relational database engines that combine the speed and availability of high-end commercial databases with the simplicity and cost-effectiveness of open source databases. It provides up to five times better performance than MySQL, up to twice the performance of PostgreSQL, all at a price point one tenth that of a commercial database while delivering similar performance and availability.
Amazon Redshift is a fast, scalable data warehouse that makes it simple and cost-effective for our customers to analyze data across their data warehouse and data lakes. Redshift delivers ten times faster performance than other data warehouses by using machine learning, massively parallel query execution, and columnar storage on high-performance disk.
Amazon Athena is a serverless query engine built to analyze structured and unstructured data stored in S3 using standard SQL. Athena requires no clusters to manage and tune nor infrastructure to setup or manage and scales automatically to TB of data for complex queries. Customer can use Athena to also create S3-based data lakes.
Amazon Aurora, Redshift and Athena Engine teams are looking for software developers who are passionate about databases and large-scale storage system technologies, and excited about building database systems that run across thousands of servers across multiple datacenters worldwide. These are core systems development positions where you will grow to own the design and development of significant system software components critical to our industry leading database services architected for the cloud.
We are looking for candidates who are exceptional in systems programming, data structures and algorithms, and advanced databases. Research and hands-on experience working in database research groups and labs is preferred. You not only need to be a top software developer with a good academic and/or research track record, but also need to excel in communication and leadership. This is a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor within a fast-growing business and help shape the technology and the product.
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Enrolled in, or received B.S / M.S / Ph.D. in Computer Science (graduation date on or after December 2020) with focused study and research experience in three or more of the following areas:
- Advanced databases/query processing areas
- Database engine internals (storage): indexing, access methods, concurrency control, logging, caching, transaction processing, replication, backup restore, buffer management
- Database engine internals (query processing): query compilation, optimization, execution, parallel execution
- Distributed systems: consensus-based quorum replication, NoSQL system implementation
- Candidates with strong interests and academic qualifications/research focus in file and storage systems, compilers, operating systems, networking, computer architecture