At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible— and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way.
Join #TeamAmex and let’s lead the way together.
As a part of the Colleague Experience Group (CEG, formerly Human Resources) we strive to provide a great colleague experience every day. We obsess over understanding the colleague experience at a deeper level to co-create simple and great ways of working that enable everyone to be and deliver their best. We make a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Business Unit/Role Specific Info
Our Summer Internship Program is the main pipeline into our full-time CEG Global Rotation Program (GRP), a two-year program designed to attract and develop diverse talent to be the future leaders of CEG and to work on high-impact projects that drive CEG and business strategies.
The summer internship provides high-performing MBA/Masters students the opportunity to gain hands-on experience by leading an individual project that has high visibility and lasting impact at American Express. Throughout the course of the summer, interns are given significant exposure to senior leadership and all functional areas of CEG. At the end of the program, interns will present their insights and recommendations to the Chief Colleague Experience Officer, the CEG senior leadership team, and CEG colleagues.
Successful summer internship candidates will be on track to join the full-time GRP. This two-year program consists of three rotations: a specialist rotation within one of our CEG Centers of Expertise, a CEG generalist rotation, and a rotation within a line of business outside of CEG. One of these rotations is international and participants will be based in a global market (subject to change due to COVID-19). The program is small, high-touch, and promotes individual development through a number of resources, including mentorship and coaching. GRP alumni have gone on to hold key roles in areas such as Talent & Careers, Organizational Effectiveness, Colleague Insights (Human Capital Analytics), Learning and Development and CEG Business Partnership.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Drive Colleague Experience Group mission and vision by delivering a great colleague experience, growing the best talent, and developing new ways of unlocking enterprise value
- Know the business: understand our business strategy, plans, and the impact of internal and external factors
- Think strategically: develop ideas that drive meaningful colleague experiences and competitive advantage
- Deliver great solutions: design and deliver high-quality, end-to-end, colleague-centric solutions that enable business success
- Know your colleague: use data to develop insights, make decisions, create solutions, and drive continuous improvement
- Provide a fresh perspective on existing business challenges and demonstrate the courage to challenge the status quo
- Partner with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to empower colleagues’ unique voices so everyone feels like they belong
- At least three years of work experience (HR-related experience is not required)
- Ability to be based in the US or UK
- Ability to spend 6 months living outside of home base country during international rotation (subject to change due to COVID-19)
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for a career in HR
- Desire to grow a long-term career in CEG at American Express
- Proven ability to drive results
- Strong leadership experience with demonstrated ability to lead people, teams or projects, including leading through change
- Experience adapting working style to effectively navigate a variety of situations
- Highest standard of integrity and professionalism
- Analytical thinking and complex problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate, influence and collaborate at all levels
- Intellectual curiosity and a keen interest in learning
- Driven by purpose and perseveres in the face of challenges
- Seeks feedback and demonstrates self-awareness to drive personal growth
- Currently enrolled in a master’s degree program
- Students must have a graduation date between December 2022 and June 2023
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
For more information, please visit our career website at https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/careers/.
Our team will review completed applications on a rolling basis. We appreciate your patience while we consider your application and will be in contact with you by April 30th.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Click here to view the “EEO is the Law” poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.