At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible— and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way.
Join #TeamAmex and let’s lead the way together.
American Express National Bank (“AENB”) is American Express’ chartered national bank. Headquartered in Utah, AENB is the single largest entity within American Express’ business, currently representing more than 50 percent of the Company’s Card Member Spending, nearly 90 percent of its lending and more than 60 percent its of revenues. AENB provides its customers with access to consistent payments, financing and savings products in three ways, including:
- Issuing and servicing charge and credit cards for our consumer and small business segments
- Offering commercial loans to small and midsized merchants, as well as installment loans to consumers; and
- Maintaining a Personal Savings program consisting of high-yield savings accounts and certificate of deposit products.
Business Unit/Role Specific Info
Within AENB, you will work with the Vendor and Operational Risk team who is responsible for managing AENB’s affiliate and third-party management programs, leading the Company’s intercompany agreement center of excellence, and executing AENB’s operational risk framework.
This position will be based in Sandy, Utah.
What type of work can you expect to do at American Express during the 10 week internship?
- Gather and analyze information from a wide array of sources; identify trends and articulate how those trends impact our business
- Learn how to articulate decisions clearly and gain buy-in from stakeholders across the business
- Obtain a comprehensive understanding of the business and its needs
- Hone analytical acumen, communication skills and the ability to tailor complex messages to the appropriate audience
- Inclusive mind-set and behaviors
- Demonstrated experience building, sustaining and leveraging relationships
- Strong work ethic, organizational skills and attention to detail with excellent follow-up skills
- Demonstrated willingness to take initiative and act decisively
- Ability to think strategically and influence teammates across multiple cross-functional teams
- Positive, can-do attitude embracing growth mindset
- Project management skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask
- Currently enrolled in full-time undergraduate degree program in business, economics, risk analysis or other related fields
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, manage, analyze, and interpret large amounts of data to identify trends and themes
- Proven ability to translate highly technical and complex information into easily understandable terms
- Strong understanding and knowledge of banking concepts
- Strong analytical skills; familiarity with statistical/analytical software packages a plus
- Knowledge of relevant laws and regulations relating to regulated financial institutions a plus
- Experience in a related discipline including audit, compliance, risk, regulatory management, law, marketing and product management, finance, technologies or control related functions
- Currently enrolled in a full-time Bachelor’s degree program
- Students must have a graduation date between December 2022 and June 2023
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
For more information, please visit our career website at https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/careers/.
Our team will review completed applications on a rolling basis. We appreciate your patience while we consider your application and will be in contact with you by April 30th.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the Company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Click here to view the “EEO is the Law” poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm and http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.