Summer 2021 Unpaid Internships
While this is an unpaid internship, we offer College or University credit. Preference is given to those with an academic requirement for an internship.
- Eligibility: You must be enrolled in an Undergraduate or Graduate degree program at the time of the internship.
- Preferred Majors: Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Film/Video, Social Media Studies or Digital Communications
- Preferred Grade Levels: Undergraduate Junior, Undergraduate Senior, and Graduate level.
- Duration: Monday, June 7th – Friday, August 13th
This internship is for students who are resourceful, interested in team building and want to help create the strategic direction for developing, engaging and retaining a highly effective and satisfied workforce through the utilization of volunteers, interns and employees.
Diversity Starts Here is the employee led Diversity Equity and Inclusion committee for the Greater NY Region employees and team.
In this role, the intern will help develop yearlong programming, create surveys and materials to help shape this programming, and identify key leaders inside and outside of the organization for involvement in discussions and events.
Qualifications and Skills
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship, preferably in an MBA program, with HR experience
- Experience or interest in working on corporate Human Resources projects and/or in non-profit fundraising departments is a plus
- Passion for engagement projects that focus on diversity and inclusion
- Established background or interest in Human Resources, Business, Non-profit Management, Public Policy, Psychology, and Sociology
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
- Strong degree of emotional intelligence and/or empathy with ability to work effectively in stressful situations
- May conduct original research and prepare reports based on findings, to include recommendations or alternative proposals for action.
- Detail-oriented with strong ability to multi-task
- Willing to perform back-office processes and learn new computer systems/applications
- Maintains confidentiality; works with integrity and ethically
What You’ll Learn
In our region, you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services. You’re learning and development will include:
- Relationship Building
- Organizational Management
- Training and mentoring from subject matter experts
- Volunteer Engagement, Management & Administration
- A deeper awareness of the Humanitarian Mission of the American Red Cross
- Cultivation of Cultural Competence and Inclusion
Being involved in projects critical to the day-to-day work of our non-profit organization, gaining an insider’s perspective on the Red Cross humanitarian mission as well as service delivery at the local and national levels.
- Access to subject matter experts in the fields of Nonprofit Management, Nonprofit Fundraising, Emergency Management, Communications, Social Media, Disaster Relief, and much more.
- Access to our exclusive online database of professional development courses.
- Additional service projects with direct impact in communities within our Greater New York Region.
- Monday to Friday
This intern position is remote.
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Achievement-oriented — enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Innovative — prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
Company’s Facebook page:
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Virtual meetings