Fall 2021 Unpaid Internships
The content of this listing is in accordance with all applicable employment laws. While this is an unpaid internship, we offer College or University credit. Preference is given to those with an academic requirement for an internship.
- Eligibility: You must be enrolled in an Undergraduate or Graduate degree program at the time of the internship.
- Preferred Majors: NA
- Preferred Grade Levels: Undergraduate Junior, Undergraduate Senior, and Graduate level.
- Duration: Monday, September 13 – Friday, December 17
- Mission Concept: Help During a Crisis
- COVID-19 Protocols: Our offices are temporarily closed pending return to in person work in October 2021.
Overview: This internship project will focus on building back the Manhattan Home Fire Campaign operations after a hiatus due to COVID. Throughout the program, the intern will engage with community members to promote fire safety training and education.
- Conduct independent research on community meetings, building management companies, and other possible outreach opportunities.
- Attend community meetings to promote the program and take sign-ups.
- Train others (if needed) on how to educate on home fire safety and properly install smoke alarms.
- Participate in Home Fire Campaign operations.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship
- Passion for fire safety and providing safety education in an accessible way
- Bonus: comfort with using power tools or willingness to learn
- Bonus: comfort driving in the five boroughs
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
- Strong degree of emotional intelligence and/or empathy with ability to work effectively in stressful situations
- Very detail-oriented with strong ability to multi-task
What You’ll Learn
In our region, you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services. You’re learning and development will include:
- Relationship Building
- Organizational Management
- Training and mentoring from subject matter experts
- Volunteer Engagement, Management & Administration
- A deeper awareness of the Humanitarian Mission of the American Red Cross
- Cultivation of Cultural Competence and Inclusion
Being involved in projects critical to the day-to-day work of our non-profit organization, gaining an insider’s perspective on the Red Cross humanitarian mission as well as service delivery at the local and national levels.
- Access to Microsoft Teams as a way to work collaboratively while working remotely
- Access to subject matter experts in the fields of Nonprofit Management, Nonprofit Fundraising, Emergency Management, Communications, Social Media, Disaster Relief, and much more.
- Access to our exclusive online database of professional development courses.
- Additional service projects with direct impact in communities within our Greater New York Region.
Job Types: Part-time, Internship
- Monday to Friday
Safety First! Our need for interns is constant and our guidelines reflect the latest CDC and local-government COVID-19 safety recommendations. While we do not require interns to be vaccinated against COVID-19, we will ask you to report if you are.