Summer Day Camp Head Counselor
Asphalt Green is a non-profit sports and fitness center with two locations – Upper East Side and Battery Park City. We run a summer day camp for 550+ campers at our Upper East Side location, and a summer day camp for 225+ campers at our Battery Park City location. Each program is offered to children ranging in age from 4 to 13 years old. Camp runs from Monday, June 28 to Friday, August 20. Camp staff are required to be on the premises by 8:00 am and the day is over by 4:45 pm. Lunch is provided.
We are looking for energetic and responsible individuals to fill Head Counselor positions for our Summer Day Camp 2020. Head Counselors oversee a group of campers (18-21 campers per group) along with approximately and 2-3 General Counselors. They will have heavy interaction with camper-parents who are vocal and can be quite demanding. Other responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Head Counselorsà (reports to Division Leader)
· Maintain proper communication with parents
· Identify and meet campers’ needs
· Supervise campers at all activities and trips
· Promote camp values
· Supervise General and Junior Counselors
· Communicate with group counselors about upcoming events and group issues
· Participate in all camp activities and special events
· Check lost & found daily and be looking over campers so they have all belongings
· Greet parents at arrival and takes attendance
· Time management of group activities
· Greet parents at dismissal and discuss any issues that need to be addressed
· Sign out campers
· Follow guidelines explained in the staff handbook and Counselor agreement
During Camp, we follow strict health and safety protocols. These include mask-wearing, social distancing, heightened sanitation practices, temperature checks, and more. Staff and campers are required to follow these protocols at all times.
NOTE: All summer camp employees are required to attend orientation on the following day, June 19, the evening of June 21 through June 24, and June 26.
Qualified candidates will have a background in education, preferably classroom management and camp experience. Leadership and problem-solving skills are critical for success in this position. Must have patience and stamina as the days are busy and long. CPR certified a plus.