Volunteers provide additional support to program staff i.e. Group Leaders and Activity Specialists. Volunteers provide academic support and assistance in enrichment activities designed to develop or enhance skills that will help students in and out of school. Volunteers assist specifically in homework assistance and recreational activities i.e. dance, art, etc. This role may include any or all of the following and/or similar responsibilities described below
· Assist in providing homework assistance and additional support to students.
· Assist in supervising transition times to maintain order and safety; assist program staff in maintaining cleanliness and quality of program materials and worksite environment.
· Encourage a positive environment that fosters mutual support and the desire to learn, grow and develop; serve as a positive role model for students by demonstrating professional language and behavior.
· Maintain program rules and regulations as well as adhere to schoolwide procedures while always keeping the student’s need as the highest priority.
· Communicate with Program Director and/or program staff regarding any problems and/or concerns regarding students, in a professional and appropriate manner.
· Actively engage in all program activities with students on a consistent basis.
· High School Diploma and/or 1-2yrs experience in a youth development role required;
· 1-year experience working with youth or in a youth development program such as tutoring, afterschool program, summer camp, mentoring, etc. highly desired.
· Must be able to volunteer at least 6-9 hours a week Mon. thru Fri. during the afterschool program hours.
· Basic understanding of elementary and middle school homework.
· Willingness to be trained in the following areas, including, but not limited to, youth development, conflict resolution, youth safety, services for youth with disabilities, and cultural diversity.
· Ability to demonstrate effective problem-solving techniques as well as possess classroom and behavior management skills.
· Must be able to work in a team environment and possess the ability to work cohesively, collaboratively and take direction.
· Dedicated to ensuring youth excel and thrive in and out of school.
· Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
· Exhibits creativity and resourcefulness, enthusiasm and passion, and commitment and patience in working with youth.