Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
The Field Human Resources Department (Field HR) is responsible for recruitment, selection, placement, and retainment of qualified and well-suited field staff to meet the growing needs of MSF field operations.
The People Management Unit (PMU) is based in MSF USA (New York) and is in charge of creating and implementing several programs which develop the management skills of MSF’s managers and supervisors in the field. The Mentoring & Coaching programs are part of the PMU and aim to support field staff in strengthening their management and leadership skills.
The mentoring program is offered to first time and experienced managers in the field (both national and international staff) who want to become more confident and efficient in their role. Through a self-discovery approach facilitated by mentors and coaches, mentees and coachees find their own solutions to the job-related dilemmas faced in the field or broader performance improvement on a certain skillset.
The Mentoring and Coaching Intern will support the Mentoring and Coaching program and assist the Mentoring and Coaching Program Manager (MCPM) by completing a range of daily and strategic tasks in diverse areas including communication, implementation, evaluation and improvement of the programs.
Duties will include some or all of the following based on current needs:
- Following-up mentoring requests and mentoring relationships
- Creating mentees’ profiles and keeping the mentoring relationship management system up to date (mentees data and relationship stages)
- Administratively supporting the recruitment of mentors (call for applications, follow-up of application files, updating the mentoring database)
- Assisting with the organization of the mentoring and coaching skills workshops (participant lists, logistics)
- Creating and updating mentors’ profiles (CV, Bios, summary of MSF experience, availability status, number of mentoring hours) in the mentoring relationship management system
- Contributing to the development and dissemination of communication materials for mentors and mentees
- Supporting the development of new mentoring tools (including the continuous professional development program, mentoring toolbox, evaluation toolkit and the mentoring relationship management system)
- Participating in the PMU’s team meetings and virtual meetings with the Mentoring and Coaching Hub (based in Oslo)
- Brainstorming with the MCPM and other stakeholders on improvements, ideas and initiatives for the mentoring and coaching programs, with a focus on:
- broadening and enhancing communications to promote mentoring and coaching throughout OCP, and especially to reach potential participants in the field and key stakeholders in L&D and HR roles.
- Identifying opportunities for the mentoring and coaching program to collaborate with other L&D initiatives
Additional tasks linked to the mentoring and coaching programs might be proposed and developed.
Information about Mentoring and Coaching in MSF can be found on the following link:
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of MSF
- Fluent French and English (speaking and writing)
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Detailed oriented and administratively strong
- Strong IT skills with a working knowledge of all Microsoft Office Suite and the aptitude to learn new software (The Mentoring program also uses Smartsheet, Salesforce, Zoom). Experience using graphic design programs, video-editing or other media software an advantage.
- Ability to work autonomously with an analytic mindset, ask for support when needed and provide regular feedback to the MCPM
- Strong multi-tasking skills
Application Deadline: July 18, 2021
If applicant is not based in New York, please indicate the ability to relocate in cover letter.
Please note that neither relocation assistance nor visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
No phone calls and emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.
Pay Class & Contract Type
$15 per hour
Working Time (Hours Per Week)