Job Title: Camp Lifeguard/Swim Instructor Job or Internship-Field Experience 2021
You don’t currently have your Lifeguarding certification including First Aid, CPR and AED? No problem! ESF will reimburse Lifeguards/Swim instructors up to $200 after a successful camp season for completing and passing a local or ESF-run lifeguard certification class. Join our mission-driven team at ESF Camps & Experiences for a fun and rewarding summer as a Lifeguard/Swim Instructor! ESF is hiring motivated leaders with prior experience supervising children who believe in ESF’s mission, build positive relationships and ensure the well-being of others.
THE VALUE OF THE ESF INTERNSHIP, INDEPENDENT STUDY or FIELD EXPERIENCE- ESF offers offer paid summer jobs and internship/independent study/field experience opportunities. All positions include internship/independent study/field experience components such as training, mentoring, goal-based evaluations, as well as hands-on experience working with children in a structured environment with education-based activities. ESF Team Members can experience these components as part of an internship/independent study/field experience or as a summer job.
Joining our summer team offers the following benefits:
· A chance to make a diﬀerence in the life of a child
· Fun and rewarding experience working with children while getting paid
· Working on a dynamic, talented team
· Structured environment includes education-based activities (science, art, technology, theater, and teambuilding/leadership) with sports and aquatics.
· Paid training & experience: Extensive training and experience in behavior management, health & safety, crisis management, leadership development, and teaching & coaching children.
· Reimbursement for position-specific training (i.e. Lifeguarding)
· Consistent daily schedule, Monday-Friday, weekends off. Typically 8-9 weeks, 35+ hours/week (excluding July 4 holiday). Additional hours available via extended day program.
· Mentoring by ESF’s summer leadership team who are professionals in education and related fields.
· Formal goal-based evaluation process with feedback on performance
· Professional networking and resume building
Summer Job & Internship, Independent Study or Field Experiences – Next Steps:
1. Review Position Description: Please see responsibilities & requirements in this description
2. Job or internship/independent study/field experience options: Candidates can choose between using an ESF summer position as a job or internship/independent study/field experience.
3. Apply online: Candidates view job posting and apply online at www.esfjobs.com
4. Interview process: Candidates will go through ESF interview & selection process based on current openings and candidate experience/background related to job requirements.
5. College/University Approval Required: Internship/independent study/field experiences (credit or non-credit) are subject to approval from a professor or college official within a major/degree area.
6. Approval Process from College/University:
a. Student communicates internship/independent study/field experience interest to their professor/advisor and during the ESF interview process.
b. Approval process can be completed only if candidate receives and accepts an ESF job offer.
c. ESF works with the student and faculty member to determine and fulfill internship requirements for the student’s particular degree/course.
Aquatics team members are trained on ESF’s swimming levels and lesson protocols prior to the start of camp. Lifeguard/Swim Instructor hours are from 8:15am-3:40pm; Monday – Friday. Start and end times may vary depending on the location and camp. In addition, Lifeguard/Swim Instructors have the opportunity to receive additional compensation for providing private and semi-private swim instruction after camp. ESF Lifeguard/Swim Instructor are not required to have a Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification to teach swim lessons. If you have your WSI certification, additional compensation is offered.
The Lifeguard/Swim Instructor is responsible for teaching swimming lessons, guarding the pool during open swimming, ensuring the safety of all people in the pool area and learning the procedures to maintain the cleanliness and upkeep of the pool facility.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
· Responsible for lifeguarding and ensuring safety of all people in and out of pool
· Enforce all pool rules and regulations
· Responsible for supervision of the pool facility
· Know and understand each swimming skill level and the skills that are taught
· Teach daily swim instruction to campers ages of 3-14 with different ability levels
· Teach group swim instruction to Mini/Day Camp, Sports & Senior campers
· Work effectively with other Lifeguard/Swim Instructors and share various responsibilities
- Inform site director of any concerns regarding the health and safety of the campers.
- In order to provide the appropriate ratio, the site director must approve any non-contracted requests for time off, schedule changes, or alterations to the schedule.
· Complete weekly progress reports for all campers and other required paperwork
· Serve as a positive role model to campers
· Outstanding communication skills which include the ability to use clear, concise and grammatically correct written and oral language in all aspects of professional interaction with campers, their families, peers, leadership team and the larger community
· Learn and implement the proper procedures for maintaining proper pool water quality (testing, chlorine, etc.) as well as opening and closing the pool
· Optional: Opportunity to teach private/semi-private swim lessons after regular camp hours if interested
· Push/pull, lift and carry a minimum of thirty-five (35) pounds across campus
· Work outside, upright and mobile for six (6) to eight (8) hours per day
· Respond to emergency situations which may include running (up to 1 mile in some cases) and ascending stairs without undue exertion
· Possess physical capacity to fulfill all essential job functions
· Other responsibilities as assigned
· Previous experience working with children
· Previous camp experience preferred
· Must be at least sixteen (16) years of age
· Aquatics (must have current certifications: Current American Red Cross Lifeguard and First Aid Certification, Current American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer Certification)
· Must have the physical capability to see (near and far), climb, bend, swim, float, kneel and carry individuals during rescue operations
· Swim team, lifeguard or other organized swimming background preferred
· It is understood you will complete all trainings and pre-employment credentials required by ESF and the state you are working in.
Covid 19 Health & Safety Protocols
ESF has developed and will be implementing an Advanced Safety Plan to ensure our campers, team members, and parents thrive in a safe environment. This plan includes detailed safety measures in the following areas. Team members will be trained on all protocols and full compliance is expected.
· Limited enrollment and smaller group sizes
· Camper & staff screening with use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
· Cleaning, disinfection & handwashing
· Premier outdoor facilities
· Reasonable contact reduction, including social distancing practices
· Symptom Management Action Plan
· Specialized Safety Training
Other Requirements/Competencies for Success:
– Understand and support the mission of the organization
– Commit to the growth and development of youth
– Always have a positive, can-do attitude
– Demonstrate excellent judgment; identify problems and work quickly to find solutions
– Desire to make a difference in the life of a child
– Attendance and punctuality
– Demonstrate the ESF Virtues of Character (Gratitude, Respect, Trustworthiness, Effort, Kindness, Positivity, Resilience, Community) in camp on a daily basis
– Follow the ESF Code and maintain the ESF Look at all times
– Exhibit ESF Core Values at all times and to adhere to all company policies
· Reports directly to and takes direction from the Aquatics Director. May also take direction from and is overall accountable to the Site Director.
Description is subject to change at any time.
Apply online at www.esfjobs.com.