The mission of Bronx Excellence is to prepare young people to compete for admission to and succeed in top public, private, and parochial high schools by cultivating their intellectual, artistic, social, and emotional and ethical development through the Bronx Charter School for Excellence (Bronx Excellence). Our schools accomplish this by offering a challenging and rigorous academic curriculum – which at the earliest of grades has an eye towards college preparation. We achieve this in a supportive and caring environment that at all times has high expectations of our scholars.
The Computer Science Teacher will teach Computer Science to students in grades K-8, will create a curriculum to follow with the students, teach students how to write computer programs, algorithms, computer system design, and also teach computer programming languages.
● Teach Computer Science classes for grades K-8.
● Assist and or teach advanced algebra and trigonometry to scholars.
● Assist in assessing changing curricular needs and offer plans for improvement.
● Desire to plan product architecture and roadmap.
● Work alongside ECS staff and teaching team to best meet the needs and learning of students.
● Facilitate a dynamic and collaborative classroom community.
● Help build software programs to improve student learning.
● Work on software programs to assist staff and faculty.
● Assist students outside of class as necessary.
● Serve as a project manager for students during project Development.
● Develop and maintain genuine, positive and consistent communication with parents.
● Building a classroom culture that promotes active learning and computer science.
● Learn a new programming language or skill every quarter as part of professional development.
● Make direct technical contributions (writing, debugging, reviewing and deploying code).
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience.
● Ability to learn and teach new technologies with limited guidance.
● Experience working on front and backend applications.
● Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom.
● Evidence of self-governance and willingness to be a team player.
– Modern Web Framework experience ( Vue, Angular, Ember).
– Experience in iOS and android development.
– Strong mathematical background with strong knowledge in at least one of the following fields:
Statistics, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Operations research, Econometrics, Natural
– Hands-on work experience working on development projects run using an Agile methodology,
familiarity with DevOps practices.
– Proficient in the big data ecosystem programming languages (e.g. Python, Ruby, Java, Scala).
– Prior teaching experience.
– Knowledge of an MVC framework such as Ruby on Rails a plus.
● Must provide portfolio site for consideration.
● Provide sample lesson.
● Be prepared for a coding challenge.
Compensation & Benefits:
● Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
● Health, dental, vision benefits, & 403b Retirement Plan available.
● Performance-based compensation for staff.