Excellence Community Schools is a charter management, non-profit organization. The mission of the Excellence Community Schools is to prepare young people to compete for admission to and succeed in top public, private, and parochial high schools by cultivating their intellectual, artistic, social, and emotional and ethical development through the Bronx Charter School for Excellence (Bronx Excellence) and the Stamford Charter School for Excellence (Stamford Excellence). Our network of schools accomplishes this by offering a challenging and rigorous academic curriculum – which at the earliest of grades has an eye towards college preparation. We achieve this in a supportive and caring environment that at all times has high expectations of our students.
The mission of the Schools and Innovation department is to provide an array of college and career readiness services on the Excellence Community Schools Pre-K through 16 educational spectrum. These services focus on the development of the whole child, empowering the family and transforming communities.
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, we are currently seeking a Living Environment Teacher who is dedicated to improving K-8th grade Environmental Science education in an urban school setting through integrated facilities, hands on curriculum, and professional development. The Living Environment Teacher will also teach students to grow food, while learning hands on about nutrition, water resource management, efficient land use, climate change, biodiversity, conservation, contamination, pollution, waste management, and sustainable development.
To assist in the facilitation of learning within this environment, the candidate must be familiar with the New York State curriculum guidelines and standards for science & STEM. The successful candidate for this position will also be required to work in a Greenhouse Project classroom inclusive of solar panels and hydroponic growing system.
- Plan, prepare, and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning.
- Ensure lessons are rigorous, clear, measurable, and aligned with Common Core State Standards.
- Develop and use a variety of assessments (e.g., exams, written work, and public presentations) that frequently measure student progress toward the school’s content and skill standards.
- Maintain an organized classroom environment that facilitates learning.
- Ensure that students master grade-level standards.
- Maintain and communicate high academic and personal expectations for all students.
- Incorporate direct instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work to engage students, keep classes focused, and infuse a lasting desire to learn.
- Develop clear evaluation criteria and distribute to students prior to assignments.
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Share responsibility for grade level and school-wide activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree with at least 2 years teaching experience in an urban school setting is required.
- New York State teaching certification for Grades 1-6; or New York State teaching certification for K-6 Science required.
- Knowledge and skills in one or more fields of science, including general science, earth science, biology, physiology, chemistry, and physics, in accordance with Common Core Standards required.
- Experience in Environmental or Life Sciences highly preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
Note: Candidates who do not meet the above requirements will not be considered.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Health, dental, vision, & 403b Retirement Plan benefits available.
- Performance-based compensation for staff.