Excellence Community Schools is a charter management, non-profit organization. The mission of the Excellence Community Schools is to prepare young people to compete for admission to and succeed in top public, private, and parochial high schools by cultivating their intellectual, artistic, social, and emotional and ethical development through the Bronx Charter School for Excellence (Bronx Excellence) and the Stamford Charter School for Excellence (Stamford Excellence). Our network of schools accomplish this by offering a challenging and rigorous academic curriculum – which at the earliest of grades has an eye towards college preparation. We achieve this in a supportive and caring environment that at all times has high expectations of our students.
We are currently seeking a full-time Physical Education Teacher to work out of our Stamford, Connecticut based Charter School. This role will focus on improving overall health & wellness awareness practices & physical fitness for our scholars.
Duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Plan and implement lesson plans for teaching health & wellness & physical fitness techniques, sports playing, and living a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Facilitate one-on-one sessions with youth and family health workshops for scholars and their parents.
- Motivates scholars during exercises to help them develop athletic skills and enjoy exercising.
- Conduct health assessments to determine overall health status of all youth (e.g., height, weight, PACER endurance test), etc.
- Teach the rules behind playing several different sports, as well as proper techniques for running, stretching & other exercise activities.
- Collaborate with assigned grade level team leads to plan and execute reading instruction for one period each day.
- Modify existing instructional plans as necessary to accommodate individual scholar’s special needs.
- Administer assessments, collect, and analyze data gathered on each scholar.
- Build relationships with scholar’s families through regular communication regarding progress and provide ways in which families can be supportive of their scholar’s health & motivation.
- Participate in school wide scholar assessments in order to diagnose scholar’s needs.
- Attend professional development trainings.
- Provides coverage for classroom teachers, lunch/recess, and or dismissals as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- CT Teacher Certification (043 or 044 Endorsement) in Health & Wellness and/or Physical Education or reciprocity from another state in the equivalent area.
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Education or related field required.
- Minimum of 2 years of Teaching work experience in working with elementary and middle school aged students is required.
- Knowledge of best practices and current trends in Health & Wellness and/or Physical Education, school wellness policy, and/or public health required.
- Expert knowledge of Connecticut State & National Health Education Standards & National Sexuality Education Standards required.
- Experience conducting health assessments, facilitating group and individual counseling, and implementing health education workshops required.
- Comfortable working in various urban settings and with diverse populations required.
- Team-oriented with strong organizational and collaborative skills required.
- Adapts well to changes in assignment and priorities with the ability to respond effectively to new information, changing conditions, and unexpected obstacles required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Office Suite & using technology & web-based platforms to teach Health & Wellness and/or Physical Education required.
Note: Candidates who do not meet the above requirements will not be considered.
Benefits & Compensation:
- Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Health, dental, and vision benefits, & 403b available.
- Performance-based compensation for staff.