Investment Research Associate Internship
At Fidelity, we are focused on making our financial expertise broadly accessible and effective in helping people live the lives they want— from the 23 million people investing their life savings, to the 20,000 businesses managing their employee benefits programs, to the 10,000 advisors and institutions needing innovative technology solutions to invest their clients’ money. To do this well, as a privately held company, we place a high degree of value in nurturing a work environment that attracts the best talent and reflects our commitment to being an employer of choice. For more information about Fidelity Investments, visit www.fidelity.com.
Looking for a unique opportunity to obtain hands-on experience with fundamental analysis and the investment research process? Fidelity investment research internships give interns the chance to obtain the core research skills needed to begin a successful and lucrative career in investment management.
Investment Research Interns support investment decisions by building financial models, completing financial analysis, and conducting proprietary research. These internships give maximum exposure into the holistic research process through collaboration with research analysts, portfolio managers, traders, quantitative research analysis, and investment support associates.
Education and Experience
· Class of 2021 and 2022 Bachelor’s degree candidates
· Interest in growing knowledge of fundamental research and investment management
· Proven initiative in studies and extracurricular activities related to financial markets
· Intellectual curiosity and dedication to continuous improvement
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Outstanding interpersonal skills
· Proactive; seeks additional responsibilities and learning opportunities
· Proven success during his/her academic career
· High levels of integrity
· Prior internship experience in corporate setting
Merrimack, NH; Boston, MA
Intern Program Dates
June 1, 2020 – August 7, 2020
July 28, 2019
Required Application Materials
Resume and application questions required.
Internship Opportunities Include:
Class of 2021:
Equity Research Associate Intern
· Work independently to analyze and make investment recommendations on 3 stocks across different sub-sectors.
· Pitch recommendations to a group of analysts and portfolio managers for consideration in our funds.
Fixed Income Research Associate Intern
· Experience the fundamental research, quantitative research, and trading arms of the Fixed Income division
· Work alongside analysts to complete projects related to the bond investment process. `
High Income Research Associate Intern
· Work with a senior analyst to analyze companies across the capital structure and make buy or sell recommendations on securities ranging from senior secured loans to unsecured notes, convertible debentures and common stocks.
Strategic Advisers Fundamental Research Associate Intern
· Support research in one of the following asset classes: US Equity, International Equity, Alternatives and Fixed Income.
· Exposure to creatively evaluating investment managers, through the analysis of performance, quantitative risk factors, portfolio characteristics, and underlying holdings. The investment process is collaborative in nature and successful associates will interact regularly with senior analysts and portfolio managers on asset class projects and thematic research.
Class of 2022:
Real Estate Debt Securities Intern
· Update our commercial mortgage loan default database, assist our research analysts in their analysis of real estate securities, and complete a case study on a commercial real estate topic.
Equity Associate Sector Specialist Intern
· Work closely with the Sector Specialists to provide general research support to the equity research Analysts and Associates on the investment teams.
· Responsibilities include gathering important industry data, graphing industry trends, streamlining data collection and processing, and helping with various projects to support stock-specific and industry presentations.
As part of the summer experience, interns are paired with a member of the research department who will mentor them throughout their assignment. Interns are also encouraged to attend various networking and social events where they can expand their network and deepen their knowledge of Fidelity!
Placement into the above areas will be based on your preferences and where your qualifications align best.
Prior to starting, interns are encouraged to participate in our annual spring welcome event that will prepare them for their internship. We will also provide in-depth practical skills training in the first week of the internship, as well as informal training throughout.
After the Internship:
Top-performing class of 2022 interns may receive a return-offer for the following summer to join another program. Those interns would get a chance to experience a different side of investing at Fidelity.
Top-performing class of 2021 interns may receive a full-time offer into our outstanding associate programs. These programs begin in Boston with 4 weeks of economics, accounting, modeling, valuation, applied corporate finance and credit analysis training and culminate in a coverage assignment.