[redacted: click here for full job description]
INSTRUCT FOR MASTERY – The GO Fellowship, with its intense focus on individualized instruction, changes education outcomes for students. Small group instruction delivered in the context of a supportive relationship between student and AmeriCorps Fellow will result in a significant increase in student math and ELA achievement. Members will deliver on average, over 200 hours of individualized instruction per student – high-quality lesson time that students in other schools do not receive.
MENTOR FOR LEADERSHIP – Fellows have a fundamental role in supporting students in their social and emotional growth. Fellows collaborate with teachers to coach their students to have a personal investment in their success and to build an understanding that they have control over their lives. Fellows help empower our students to evolve into leaders.
DEVELOP A COMMUNITY – Members will help develop Great Oaks schools into positive, holistic communities for students. AmeriCorps members will also develop as people and professionals.
Qualifications and Competencies
A successful candidate will bring the following qualifications and competencies:
- Completed a Bachelor’s degree by start of service
- Citizenship or legal Permanent Residency in the United States (AmeriCorps requirement)
- A commitment to serving children in under-resourced, urban communities
- An unshakeable belief that all students can succeed
- Some experience working or volunteering with children; tutoring or mentorship experience preferable
- Some experience working on teams; exceptional relationship building, communication, and collaborative skills
- The maturity to live and work closely with others
- A remarkable ability to stay organized and to adhere strictly to deadlines even in extremely busy time periods
- A do-whatever-it takes attitude that coincides with an innate drive to get the details right in a flexible manner
- A passion for service and a resilient, positive mindset
- An exceptional ability to respond well to and implement feedback
- A zeal to drive innovation, try new approaches, and collaboratively solve problems from many angles and with creative solutions
- An open minded sensibility; a willingness to learn, follow the lead of others, and take leadership opportunities when appropriate
This AmeriCorps service role will start in September 2020 and run through June 2021. GO Fellow positions are available in New York City, NY, Newark, NJ, Bridgeport, CT, Wilmington, DE, and Baltimore, MD.
- From the date of your application, you can expect to receive notice within a week regarding your eligibility
- After reviewing your qualifications and background, we will schedule you for a brief phone screen interview with one of our Recruitment Associates
- Should you move on in the process, you will be scheduled for an interview and work product evaluation with one of our four locations
(If you are applying through a mobile phone, we suggest using the notes feature and copying and pasting your paragraph into the application to ensure the clarity of your writing)