Teens Make Health Happen Internship
with HealthCorps- New York
Are you interested in serving your community and empowering the next generation of healthy leaders? HealthCorps and our mission to improve the lives of youth, both mentally and physically, provides you the opportunity to do just that.
Who We Are
We’re HealthCorps – a national, non-profit organization committed to improving lives by addressing health inequities in communities through programming that includes innovative and engaging experiences for teens in education, leadership, and service learning. We empower teens by encouraging them to become change agents within their families, schools, and neighborhoods. Our program is grounded in the understanding that limited access to health education can lead to a lifetime of social, emotional and physical challenges.
Where You Fit In
We’re looking for a creative, friendly, self-starter who will implement an innovative wellness club, Teens Make Health Happen in 2-3 middle or high schools. The TMHH Club empowers teens to make healthier choices for themselves and their families. You’ll serve as a catalyst for sustainable change, promoting improved health and wellness and creating leadership opportunities for teens at your assigned sites.
As an Intern, you will serve as a near-peer mentor to local middle and high school students over the course of the semester. You will gain hands on experience leading our health and wellness club, Teens Make Health Happen, in area schools and by supporting teens in planning and leading wellness programming such as lunchtime demonstrations, step challenges and community improvement projects.
What You’ll Do
· Develop Strong Relationships. You will collaborate with teen wellness leaders and site partners to ensure effective delivery of HealthCorps’ programming across 2 – 3 school sites. You will collaborate with your Regional Program Manager and other area interns, as well as participate in ongoing professional development and leadership opportunities, provided by the organization at no-expense.
· Assess Your Schools’ Needs and Progress. You will research what health inequities the schools you serve are facing, and then measure your impact by completing a needs assessment, reporting, and tracking your work throughout your internship.
· Manage Teens Make Health Happen Clubs. You will plan and implement the successful delivery of the HealthCorps’ program offering, Teens Make Health Happen, between 6-8+ hours (each week) throughout the course of the semester. Your commitment to this program will require you to be at your assigned school sites/campuses for 3-4 hours each week for instructional purposes.
· Share and Make Aware. You will support and contribute to HealthCorps’ social media platforms (Instagram, TikTok, etc.) by sharing program highlights, stories of impact, and photos that will shine a bright light on your students.
· Commit to the HealthCorps Mission. You will prioritize health and wellness on a daily basis and, ultimately, work to ensure that relevant, local health-resources are accessible for all students and staff at your respective sites. Your spark to serve will leave a lasting, positive impact on your community.
· Represent HealthCorps. You will be an embodiment and extension of our organization and our values, both inside and outside your sites. Your presence — whether at your assigned sites or at an area-wide event — will be an asset in outreach efforts that connect teens, staff and community members to HealthCorps resources and materials.
· An undergraduate or graduate college student majoring, or interested, in public health, public policy, biology, nutrition, marketing, psychology, education, social work or other related fields
· In good academic standing with your university
· A commitment of 6-8+ hours each week to the internship for the entire Fall semester
· A self-expectation and strong desire to grow personally and professionally as a leader in the community, and as a speaker who is comfortable in learning and presenting on health-related topics to a teen audience
· Ability to travel to assigned sites, which may include distances of up to 30 miles from your campus
· Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
What You’ll Gain
Compensation and college credit:
HealthCorps will work with you and your university to provide college credit* for the internship. At the completion of the semester, you will also receive a $500 stipend for each site that you serve.
*Depending on the specific requirements and guidelines of your university this may be in the form of college or course credit or practicum hours.
You will receive ongoing training, professional development, and mentorship throughout the duration of the internship. You will gain direct experience in public health and the education system and have opportunities to network with community leaders in the field.
Additional Position Details
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other and our communities is core to HealthCorps’ values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and are seeking individuals that align with these same core beliefs. We are an equal opportunity employer and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
HealthCorps, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. HealthCorps provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics, and in compliance with all state and federal law requirements.
HealthCorps, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
HealthCorps, Inc. reserves the right to conduct background investigations and/or reference checks on all of its potential employees. Your internship offer is contingent upon a clearance of a background investigation and/or reference check.
Note: HealthCorps reserves the right to assign additional duties, as needed. All HealthCorps employees are encouraged to be flexible and responsive to changes in scope of duties.