Your Role and Responsibilities
Start dates for this position are Summer 2021
We have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Writer Summer Intern in the IBM Watson Health unit, responsible for defining the user experience of a large and complex product user experience. Our environment is ever changing and requires a candidate who is flexible, thrives in ambiguity, and can effectively collaborate across cross-functional groups and locations.
Technical content plays a critical role in ensuring that our clients know how to use and manage our products. The digital experience provides rich opportunities to optimize touch points by delivering the right content at every stage of their journey. This is why our teams need people with a passion for technology and communication.
Technical Writers across IBM employ design thinking principles to identify and present the information that clients need to succeed with our products. In this position, you will create valuable technical content that enables and inspires our clients. Our technical content encompasses content embedded in the UI, messages, product documentation, API documentation, support content, chatbots, and much more.
We’re looking for a summer intern who knows how to organize information into clear and compelling communications, and deliver it in a format that best suits our clients’ needs. You’ll work alongside subject matter experts to scope and define objectives, then create and deliver the content. You will collaborate with a wide range of project stakeholders to make sure the materials are well-aligned with other product and content deliverables. You’ll respect our history and stay on the Watson Health brand, but you’ll have the creativity and expertise to enable client success with the technical content we provide at scale.
We are looking for a motivated, self-directed, innovative team member who will incubate new ideas as part of a collaborative team. Bring us your enthusiasm for improving the world through better content and we will help you enrich your career.
What You’ll Do: critical skills and responsibilities
· Create clear, concise, and relevant technical content that helps our clients achieve their goals.
· Apply appropriate technical writing, editing, multimedia, visual design and tools skills.
· Participate in a collaborative model, where teams such as Technical Publications, Offering Management, Development, Design, and Implementation work together to ensure content is designed as part of the user experience from the beginning, not as an afterthought.
· Collaborate with other IBM stakeholder teams, such as Offering Management, Development, Training, Implementation, to ensure content is cohesive, accurate, and streamlined to enable client success across their journey.
· Gather information from a broad range of resources and synthesize into comprehensive deliverables.
· Prepare documentation plans, define audience and purpose, and establish project schedules while balancing competing priorities.
· Create, edit, and revise content to continuously improve accuracy, usability, and engagement.
· Collaborate with worldwide teams, meet deadlines on multiple projects, often with competing priorities.
Who You Are:
· You are focused on client success and advocate for their need to quickly find, use, and act on the content we provide.
· Your curiosity and critical thinking lead to innovative ways of working.
· You can easily adapt to fast-paced environments that change frequently.
· You are a solid communicator (and sometimes negotiator) when emphasizing the value of content to the client experience.
· You thrive on teamwork and have excellent verbal and written communication and collaboration skills.
· You work independently, while maintaining an extremely strong sense of responsibility and commitment to teamwork.
· You have the talent to turn your understanding of our products into content that’s easy to read and drives outcomes.
This is an office-based position in an IBM location in either Cambridge, MA or Raleigh, NC, ONLY!
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Demonstrated writing skills in English with a deliberate focus on tone and voice
- Analyzing and deriving insights from quantitative and qualitative user feedback
- Writing, editing, building, and publishing content for different types of users
- Creating topic-based information that meets audience requirements
- Ability to produce grammatically and typographically correct documentation that complies with IBM and Watson Health written usage and design standards
- Basic knowledge of graphics tools, screen capture, and manipulation of graphics
- Familiarity with structural and markup languages (HTML, DITA XML, Markdown)
- Familiarity with industry-standard authoring tools (MadCap Flare, Adobe FrameMaker)
- Familiarity with development tools (GitHub, Visual Studio Code, Atom)
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office tools, especially Word and Excel
- Working in an agile, squad-based, continuous delivery development model
- Proven project management skills
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
- Documenting APIs & SDKs
- Act on results of customer feedback & formal or informal usability tests
- Index or apply keywords to complex documentation sets
- Effective visual design skills (use of white space, illustrations & graphics)
- Experience with personas & user stories, used by product teams to help identify target audiences
- Consistently apply company branding, including standard fonts, logos, & service marks
- Understanding of accepted technical writing concepts, editorial standards & methods
- Produce work consistent with corporate or professional style guides such as IBM Style or Microsoft Manual of Style
- Knowledge of information architecture to help system concepts – workflow, context-sensitive help, minimalism & usability
- Aptitude to prepare content for new or emerging products & technologies, (eg. chatbot conversations)
High School Diploma/GED
About Business Unit
IBM’s Cloud and Cognitive software business is committed to bringing the power of IBM’s Cloud and Watson/AI technologies to life for our clients and ecosystem partners around the world. IBM provides you with the most comprehensive and consistent approach to development, security and operations across hybrid environments—with complete software solutions for business and IT operations, development, data science, security, and management. Our experts and software capabilities help organizations develop applications once and deploy them anywhere, integrate security across the breadth of their IT estate, and automate operations with management visibility. With IBM, you also have access to new skills and methods, governance and management approaches, and a deep ecosystem of industry experts and partners.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.