The Inside Sales Representative is expected to engage in the daily proactive sales efforts (via phone, email, web conferences, presentations, targeted marketing and occasional in-person visits) considered vital to promote the STEM line of Macmillan Learning products and reach their assigned annual sales goal. Through ownership of their assigned territory, the representative is required to keep abreast of all their individual states’ trends and opportunities and work both independently and in collaboration with their manager and rep peers.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Proactive daily sales calls to professors, campus faculty, and bookstore managers to initiate and close sales.
- Collaborate with professors, administrators, and educational leaders to match the appropriate text with the course; Send sample textbooks accordingly.
- Track all sales opportunities through Salesforce.com database.
- Persist on following up on existing opportunities and tracking the opportunity until the sale is closed.
- Uncover new sales opportunities through conversations and inquires.
- Handle and capitalize on incoming requests, and existing reports to track business, uncover new business, Marketing Qualified Leads, and pull calling lists.
- Stay ahead of ordering trends and requirements by speaking with faculty, reviewing college websites and tracking opportunities; be the spokesperson for their territory and will be asked to share knowledge.
- Capitalize on sales opportunities by coordinating appointments with decision-making faculty.
- Sample material and connect with key decision-makers.
- Coordinate and work with sales manager and marketing to capitalize on large opportunities.
- Develop in-depth product knowledge of the subject areas identified as critical to the territory’s success in a given year.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of competitors’ products in markets that are key to the territory’s growth and success.
- Work closely with Publishers, Editors, Marketing Managers, and ISS Sales Specialists and ISS Regional Manager to develop successful strategies crafted to gain market share.
- Communicate and reinforce those strategies at regional and national meetings, and day to day with the other inside sales representatives.
- Develop a working Territory Operating plan that can be used throughout the selling season.
- Set and meet daily, weekly and monthly goals. These goals should include a clear set of target accounts.
- Delegate tasks to the sales specialists and sales operations team to help coordinate the territory’s workload.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent higher education publishing experience required
- Minimum of two years successful sales, marketing, or operational experience preferred
- Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively with sales management, sales representatives, editors and marketing managers
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation, and relationship-building skills
- Available to travel occasionally
- Demonstrates persistence, time management, accountability, resourcefulness, persuasion
- Experience presenting in a group setting
- Ability to strategize to meet organizational goals
- Proven savviness with technology
- High Education Publishing experience preferred
Regular full-time and qualifying part-time employees and their dependents are eligible for Macmillan benefits, effective on the employee’s date of hire. Macmillan also offers health benefits coverage to qualifying same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners (may require additional documentation) of active employees.
- Competitive pay and bonus plan
- Generous Health Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Contributions to your Registered Retirement Savings Plan
- Generous paid time off policy and paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program, Education Assistance Program
- 100% employer-paid life and AD&D insurance
- Fast-paced, intellectually-challenging professional environment
- And much more!
Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world’s best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Late Nite Labs, EBI-MAPworks, i<clicker, REEF and Hayden-McNeil.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels.
The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education’s guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources at Macmillan Learning.
Please apply online here