This position provides for in-class tutoring and academic support to fellow students. They work closely with the course instructor, assisting with classroom activities. In their interactions, Math Teaching Assistants (TAs) model good student practices such as study and note-taking strategies, help their peers develop time management skills, and foster confidence and self-reliance. They encourage student success through engagement with a variety of academic resources.
- Must demonstrate an ability to quickly establish rapport and communicate well with students and instructors.
- Must demonstrate mastery of the specific content area or a related subject area in which he or she will assist students in the classroom.
- Must provide name of one Mercy College faculty member who will provide a letter of support on their behalf.
- Must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 and an average of B+ or better in subjects in which they will assist students in the classroom.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Attend required classes on time and be prepared.
- Communicate, collaborate and assist the course instructor with classroom activities.
- Assist students, individuals or small groups, to understand topic concepts, methods, and classroom assignments.
- Assist students to understand the syllabus, class assignments, and how to input answers in Blackboard.
- Comply with policies and procedures of the Department and the College including but not limited to the College’s Code of Conduct and maintain students’ information confidentiality.
- Accurately log work hours on Banner timesheets in Mercy Connect and submit them on time.
- Attend to training and professional development workshops.
- Meet with CAEI Supervisor.
Teaching Assistants Do Not:
- Assist students solving Tests and/or Quizzes, write or edit students’ writing assignments.
- Use cell phones, their laptops, tablets and/or any other personal electronic device in class.
- Perform tasks unrelated to the position such as doing their own homework, assignments, or any other unrelated activity during class.
- Bring food and eat in class