This position provides for in-class tutoring and academic support to fellow students. They work closely with the course instructor, assisting with classroom technology and activities. In their interactions, Peer Teaching Assistants (PTAs) model good student practices such as study and note-taking strategies, help their peers develop time management skills, and foster confidence and self-reliance. They encourage student success through engagement with a variety of academic resources.
· PTA assist students, individuals or small groups, by explaining topic concepts, methods and assignments.
· PTA will lead breakout discussion as designated by the course instructor.
· Communicate, collaborate and assist the course instructor with class activities.
· Assist students to review the syllabus, class assignments, and how to input answers in Blackboard.
· Encourage students to think critically about the subject.
· Will use EAB to accurately record daily attendance and provide a written summary at the completion of each session.
· PTA will assist students in the navigation of the Learning Management System (LMS).
· PTA will assist the instructor in the setting up materials and technology needed to disseminate a lesson. This includes setting up Zoom sessions or Blackboard Collaborates sessions.
· PTA will help the instructor manage students’ activities during the dissemination of a synchronous lesson. This includes posting material, sharing screens, muting students when necessary, breaking students into groups.
· PTA will encourage communication among students in the course.
· PTA will provide additional review session using the LSM platform.
· PTA will assist in promoting diversity among students in the classroom.
· Comply with policies and procedures of the Department and the College including but not limited to the College’s Code of Conduct and maintain students’ information confidentiality.
· Accurately log work hours on Banner timesheets in Mercy Connect and submit them on time.
· PTAs do not grade, but could provide feedback on assignments.
For further details, please Contact Masele Kibassa at Mkibassa@mercy.edu as soon as possible