This position provides for tutoring and academic support to fellow students. In their interactions, they model good student practices such as study and note-taking strategies, help their peers develop time management skills, and foster confidence and self-reliance. May conduct and lead group study and tutoring sessions in a variety of formats, such as Supplemental Instruction (SI) and Structured Learning Assistance (SLA). In this role, they encourage student success through engagement with a variety of academic resources.
· Provide high-quality individual and small group tutoring sessions in approved subjects.
· Facilitate student mastery of concepts or applications of a specific course of study as presented by the course instructor.
· Integrate effective study and learning strategies to maximize the student’s potential for academic progress.
· Maintain ongoing professional communication with the Learning Support Manager and other CAEI administrative staff
· Participate in professional development offerings.
· Demonstrates written and oral ability to deal with students, supervisors, and peers as needed to do the job and resolve difficult situations.
· Initiates actions that foster acceptance of organizational change and that build commitment to Department and College’s objectives.
· Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with clients, staff and other members of the Mercy College community.
· Maintains a work environment that is marked by respect for others; that values inclusiveness and builds workforce diversity; and that fosters cooperation and teamwork.
· Is punctual and maintains a satisfactory attendance record. Is appropriately attired for the office.
· Develops and maintains a cooperative, friendly and mutually supportive work environment for all staff. Uses resources wisely and effectively.
Policies and Procedures Compliance
· Complies with policies and procedures of the Department and the College including but not limited to the College’s Code of Conduct.
· Accurately log work hours on Banner timesheets in Mercy Connect and submit them on time.
· Complies with all required training.
A Peer Tutor who is employed by Mercy College in any other capacity, cannot work at the CAEI during times that overlap with their other positions, and while on duty, should only perform tasks related to their CAEI position.
· A Peer Tutor must demonstrate an ability to quickly establish rapport and communicate well with students and instructors.
· Must demonstrate mastery of the specific content area or a related subject area in which he or she will tutor.
· Must provide names of two Mercy College faculty members who will provide letters of support on their behalf.
· All Peer Tutors must maintain and overall GPA of 3.0 and an average of B+ or better in subjects in which they tutor.
In addition to this application, you may be asked to provide your current resume to the hiring manager. The Career Team provides templates of resumes at https://career.mercy.edu/channels/write-a-resume-cover-letter/ If you need assistance with your resume, contact CPD@mercy.edu