Reading Partners is an education nonprofit that empowers underserved elementary school children with strong literacy skills by partnering them with tutors in the community. In response to the COVID-19 crisis, we have launched an online learning platform called Reading Partners Connects and are looking for tutors to serve our students in a one-to-one virtual tutoring space. Tutoring and Reading Partners requires no teaching experience, as we provide all necessary materials and ongoing support of a Distance Learning Coordinator. Reading Partners offers flexible work hours by working closely with tutors to determine optimum tutoring schedules, with sessions running Monday through Thursday during the school day.
We are seeking Federal Work Study students who are able to assist the Distance Tutoring Coordinator with tutoring and possible organizational projects.
- Working one-on-one with elementary school students reading below grade level using our virtual structured curriculum
- Preparing for online Zoom lessons with proficiency in online tools such as Google Slides, Zoom, and Reading IQ
- Assisting in volunteer management of tutors along with preparing and coordinating tutoring materials for volunteers
- Establishing meaningful relationships and supporting student growth through Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
- Able to commit up to 15 hours per week
- Able to commit to tutoring in multiple school sites
- Willingness to learn about tutoring strategies and our virtual curriculum
- Patience working with students who need help learning
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
- Ability to commit to a schedule and show up promptly when expected
- Approved to receive a federal work study grant by the Student Financial Services Office
To apply, please send your resume to Jennifer Mack at email@example.com.
Additional training, resources and professional development provided to all volunteer interns and work-study students. Letters of recommendation are available upon successful completion of term.
Reading partners is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about Reading Partners, please visit our website at www.readingpartners.org