New York Edge is New York’s leading provider of after-school programs; as such we are considered an essential service to families throughout all the five boroughs. The mission of New York Edge is to help bridge the opportunity gap among underserved students by providing programs designed to improve academic performance, health and wellness, self-confidence, character and attitudes for success in life.
The subject based tutor is responsible for assisting the subject teacher during the school day and providing individual tutoring as necessary after school.
Essential Job Functions:
● Works with the subject teacher to provide tutoring in various curriculum areas.
● Together with the subject teacher, prepares an action plan for each student who receives the tutoring service.
● Helps in preparing materials for the teacher to ensure optimum use of instructional time.
● Assesses student progress and communicates such to the teacher.
● Maintains a weekly log of the tutoring services provided.
● Attends on site professional development sessions.
● Assists in preparing various reports.
● Demonstrates knowledge and competence in the subject matter being tutored.
● Is able to communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively.
● Is responsible, reliable and punctual.
● Exhibits patience and positive attitudes in establishing good rapport with the students.
● Possesses good organizational skills and completes all responsibilities in a timely manner.
● High School Diploma or Equivalent Required
● Must be at least 18 years of age
● A minimum of at least two years of college preferred.
● Experience in working with youth in educational and after school programs.
● Must have passion for New York Edge mission and demonstrated interest in the field of education and youth development
● Must pass pre-employment background investigation including but not limited to employment history and criminal background check
● Must be adaptable to the work environment such as hybrid program model availability: onsite and remote including ability to work from home or other non-school site location readily and throughout the day.
● Must be remote access prepared which includes: including web/internet/broadband accessibility and reliable cell phone devices equipped for texting and talking.
● Must possess and be able to maintain throughout the assignment; the technology (hardware, software, internet access and working cell phone) required to perform the duties of the position including communications with supervisor and other staff members.
● Physical requirements including ability to wear all PPE required, climb stairs, lift children, perform CPR, communicate by voice, monitor and evaluate events visually and aurally.
● As an essential worker it is expected at this time, that you have schedule flexibility based on State, Local and Federal pandemic management conditions and requirements (e.g. school closures, training, emergency orders)
Subject Based Tutors will be required to report to the school building and interact with staff, students, parents and school administration while following DOH Covid-19 guidelines such as wearing PPE and remaining socially distant.
At time of offer and acceptance, the job requires safety and security clearances through the Department of Education and Department of Health.
New York Edge is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.