Food Explorer Specialists provide age appropriate nutrition education to youth in New York Edge after-school programs. This part-time position is geared towards engaging children in an exciting but realistic way, to promote healthy behavior changes they can model for their peers and families. The Food Explorer Specialist position works with Program Director to ensure the location sites after-school wellness needs and goals are met.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide nutrition education workshops based on established curriculum to afterschool program youth.
- Conduct cooking demonstrations.
- Place food to support cooking demonstrations.
- Motivate children to make healthy changes, in regards to wellness and physical activity.
- Communicate openly with Program Director and Director of Sports, Wellness and Fitness on progress of program.
- Participate in training held by SASF wellness staff on approved curriculum and best practices.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
- Organize, lead, and promote interest in sports, wellness, fitness and art activities.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students.
- Ascertain and interpret group interests, evaluate equipment and facilities, and adapt activities to meet the student’s needs.
- Prepare materials for workshops ahead of time.
- Evaluate activity to determine if they are producing desired results.
- Provide after-school programming from 2:30 PM- 5:30 PM 2-5 days per week.
- Passion for New York Edge mission and youth development.
- Covid-19 Vaccination required.
- Reliable, organized and punctual.
- Knowledge of effective nutrition programming.
- Strong leader and team-builder.
- Ability to resolve conflicts and negotiate solutions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with program staff.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills with proven ability to interact with a diverse range of individuals, applying tact and discretion as situations demand.
- Must have excellent organizational, time management and follow-up skills.
- Responsible and professional conduct that serves as role model to staff and youth.
- Exhibits strong character traits and exercises patience and creativity while seeking win-win scenarios.
- A High school diploma and minimum of two years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required.
- Preferred Degree in or currently studying Nutrition, Public Health and/or subject that applies.
- 1-2 years’ experience working with children.
- Preferred- bilingual.
- Available after-school hours.
- Proof of Covid 19 Vaccination required