New York Edge is New York’s leading provider of after-school programs; as such we are considered an essential service to families throughout all the five boroughs. The mission of New York Edge is to help bridge the opportunity gap among underserved students by providing programs designed to improve academic performance, health and wellness, self-confidence, character and attitudes for success in life.
Sports Specialists provide targeted, skill and age-appropriate instruction, coaching and mentorship to youth in New York Edge’s after-school programs. They facilitate New York Edge Three-Season Sports/Physical Activity Model as specified by the Center for Sports and Wellness. Sports Specialists organize and lead physical activity programming at their site, ensuring the safety of all program participants. They attend sport-specific professional development training and follow the Sports Resource Guide throughout the school year. Sports Specialists coach students from their after-school program in various tournaments and leagues throughout the school year and serve as role models to all New York Edge participants with regard to professionalism and sportsmanship.
Sports Specialists utilize the Sports and Physical Activity Resource Guide to create engaging and rewarding activities that encourage participation in New York Edge programs. At the site level, Sports Specialists are responsible for creating lessons, projects and objectives that meet the individual students’ needs. He/she fosters an atmosphere of fun and learning and serves as a role model to youth, always conducting him/herself in the utmost professional manner and maintaining appropriate boundaries.
Essential Job Functions:
● Motivate students to be active on a daily basis
● Ensure daily activity lesson plans and projects are structured, age-appropriate, and have clear learning goals based on the provided sports and physical activity guide
● Maintain communication with the Program Director and Center for Sports and Wellness regarding the calendar of programs, leagues, tournaments and special events.
● Motivate students to participate in organization-wide sports activities
● Prepare students for participation in organization-wide sports activities
● Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
● Organize, lead, and promote interest in non-traditional activities such as fencing, hockey, team handball and martial arts.
● Explain principles, techniques, and safety procedures to participants in the activities, and demonstrate proper use of materials and equipment.
● Enforce safety rules and regulations governing sports, recreational activities, and the use of equipment.
● Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students.
● Prepare facilities for group activities.
● Greet new arrivals to activities, introducing them to other students, explaining rules, and encouraging participation.
● Evaluate activities to determine if they are producing the desired results.
● Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students’ varying needs and interests.
● Promote and ensure the progressive development of student skills
● Promotes positive character development in all youth
● Most New York Edge Sports Specialists are expected to provide homework support during Academic hours.
● Adapt each activity to ensure safe participation in the space provided.
● Must be knowledgeable and skilled in a variety of sports and have prior experience successfully teaching and instructing youth
● Must be able to follow a curriculum
● Must be responsible, reliable and punctual!
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required
● Must be adaptable to the work environment such as hybrid program model availability: onsite and remote including ability to work from home or other non-school site location readily and throughout the day.
● Must be remote access prepared which includes: including web/internet/broadband accessibility and reliable cell phone devices equipped for texting and talking.
● Must possess and be able to maintain throughout the assignment; the technology (hardware, software, internet access and working cell phone) required to perform the duties of the position including communications with supervisor and other staff members.
● Physical requirements including ability to wear all PPE required, climb stairs, lift children, perform CPR, communicate by voice, monitor and evaluate events visually and aurally.
● As an essential worker it is expected at this time, that you have schedule flexibility based on State, Local and Federal pandemic management conditions and requirements (e.g. school closures, training, emergency orders)
● 1 year of college with experience as a member of an intercollegiate team or as a physical education major.
● Minimum of one year of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required.
● Minimum of one year of coaching experience is required.
● Must have passion for New York Edge mission and demonstrated interest in the field of education and youth development.
● Able to work late afternoons and/or evenings. After-School hours can span from 2:50pm-6:50pm, with most programs running from 3-6pm.
● Able to work Saturdays due to many sports training, leagues, tournaments and special events take place on Saturdays between 8am and 4pm, spanning approximately 4 hours during that time frame.
● Certifications and credentials in respective skill-based activity highly preferred.
● Candidates who are qualified to lead instruction in more than one activity preferred as well.
● 9-15 hours per week.