The mission of New York Edge is to help bridge the opportunity gap among underserved students by providing programs designed to improve academic performance, health and wellness, self-confidence, character and attitudes for success in life.
New York Edge is a non-profit organization and one of the largest providers of school-based afterschool programs in New York City and the metropolitan region.
We impact more than 25,000 students from over 120 sites in grades K-12 typically in underserved neighborhoods.
The STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics) Specialist is responsible for imparting instruction in one of the STEAM disciplines to small groups students through the New York Edge Program .
STEAM Specialists adhere to policies and procedures in a proactive manner, as well as adhere to schoolwide procedures while always keeping the needs, safety and care of children the primary focus.
They will build a positive relationship with participants in our care and foster
● positive connections and mutual support between participants
● the desire to learn
● the positive development of each child and the overall group.
The STEAM Specialist will aim to always grow and develop while actively engaging with children. They will serve as a role model for students and work effectively and cooperatively with parents, teachers and community partners to supervise and ensure quality services are provided.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
● Implement an approved STEAM curriculum
● Clearly display at the beginning of the lesson what the students will be able to do (the objective)
● Clarify the underlying scientific, technological, engineering or mathematics principles embedded in the lesson
● Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible
● Evaluate activity to determine if they are producing desired results
● Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students’ varying needs and interests.
● Articulate with the Site Director in a timely fashion regarding any materials needed
● Maintain a careful inventory of the materials used at the conclusion of each lesson
● Demonstrates knowledge and competence in the subject matter
● Have lesson plans ready and available for review
● Anticipate supplies and needs for day to day functions
● Take daily attendance and latenesses
● Work individually with students and make referrals for needs to social worker
● Collectively engage students
● Communicate with parents via phone/email/ in person regarding students’ progress/behavior as needed
● High school diploma required
● Minimum of two years of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is required
● Minimum of two years of instructing experience is required
● Must have passion for New York Edge mission and demonstrated interest in the field of education and youth development
● Must pass pre-employment background investigation including but not limited to employment history and criminal background check
● Must be adaptable to the work environment such as hybrid program model availability: onsite and remote including ability to work from home or other non-school site location readily and throughout the day.
● Must be remote access prepared which includes: including web/internet/broadband accessibility and reliable cell phone devices equipped for texting and talking.
● Must possess and be able to maintain throughout the assignment; the technology (hardware, software, internet access and working cell phone) required to perform the duties of the position including communications with supervisor and other staff members.
● Physical requirements including ability to wear all PPE required, climb stairs, lift children, perform CPR, communicate by voice, monitor and evaluate events visually and aurally.
● As an essential worker it is expected at this time, that you have schedule flexibility based on State, Local and Federal pandemic management conditions and requirements (e.g. school closures, training, emergency orders)
● Bilingual: Fluent in Spanish highly preferred
● 2 years of college recommended
● Certifications and credentials in respective skill-based activity highly preferred
● Demonstrated elementary school program delivery experience preferred
● DOE Teaching Certification
● Advanced degree in Education or one of the STEAM disciplines
● 9-15 hours per week
STEAM Specialists will be required to report to the school building and interact with staff, students, parents and school administration while following DOH Covid-19 guidelines such as wearing PPE and remaining socially distant.
At time of offer and acceptance, the job requires safety and security clearances through the Department of Education and Department of Health.
New York Edge is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Disclaimer: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
To apply, please visit our website at https://newyorkedge.org/careers/