If you have a passion for voice, language, or speech: we want to hear from you!
The New York Speech Coaching Internship Program is an opportunity for aspiring speech coaches and those interested in learning about the field to receive training from experienced instructors and assist NYSC’s staff in day-to-day operations.
Participants of the program will receive constructive feedback regarding their progress through observations and discussions with NYSC staff. Interns will interact with other participants of the program, engaging in collaborative projects and joint lessons. Program participants will also take part in the administrative and business-related aspects of NYSC.
The internship program will last for a period of 12 weeks but is flexible depending on credit requirements. Interns are asked to spend 15 hours per week onsite at NYSC while participating in the program.
What will the internship consist of?
- Interns will gain exposure to the educational aspects of speech coaching, including teaching materials, class expectations, and the philosophy of speech coaching.
- Interns will gain exposure to the operational aspects of the speech coaching business, including collaborative meetings with instructors and office staff.
- Interns will receive 12 masterclasses during the course of the semester, in addition to 1 – 2 private lessons.
- Responsibilities of the interns are the discretion of the NYSC administrators overseeing the program but will include: clerical duties; industry research; social media supervision (interns will need to provide their own laptop); customer service and monetary transactions.
How does the internship program work?
- Interns will work two 6-hour “group” days per week when all interns will be working simultaneously.
- Interns will work one 3-hour “individual” day per week.
When is the internship offered?
- The fall semester of the internship is offered from September – December.
- The spring semester of the internship is offered from February – April.
- The summer semester of the internship is offered from June – August.
The internship can be taken for college credit if desired. Applicants are encouraged to apply for any semester at any time!
Check with your internship coordinator BEFORE accepting to determine how you might do this internship for credit.
Due to concerns for public health and safety, the Summer 2021 Speech Coaching internship will be conducted remotely.