Division of Regional Affairs
Poughkeepsie Regional Office
Reference No. POU_ PUGS_SUM_2021
Application Deadline is April 23, 2021
Paid Summer Placement for Undergraduate Students
The New York State Office of the Attorney General (OAG) is seeking an undergraduate student to serve as a student mediator in the Poughkeepsie Regional Office (PRO). In addition to its other activities, the PRO prosecutes businesses and individuals engaged in fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or illegal trade practices, and mediates thousands of complaints each year from individual consumers. A large percentage of these complaints are resolved satisfactorily through an informal mediation process. The student mediator is an integral part of this mediation process.
Student mediators act as consumer advocates in negotiating consumer complaints with merchants. Each student mediator is assigned a number of consumer complaint files covering a broad range of consumer issues including retail sales, mail order transactions, credit transactions, telemarketing, warranty problems, home repair and automobiles.
The student is exposed to the Office’s procedures and philosophy and deals directly with consumers and merchants to resolve the complaints. Students are taught interviewing techniques and will have the opportunity to develop analytical skills as they learn to focus on the underlying issues to reach a resolution of each complaint. While each complaint is reviewed by a member of our professional staff, the students typically exercises significant discretion and independent judgment. Consumer Representatives or lawyers, supervise the students.
SUMMER PROGRAM DETAILS
- Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, student programs will operate remotely until the OAG determines that it is able to provide an in-person experience.
- Undergraduate students must be either rising sophomores, juniors or seniors.
- The OAG’s summer program will officially run from June 7 – July 30, 2021. The student hired for this placement will work 37.5 hours/week for the full 8 weeks of the program.
- The selected candidate will be hired as a student assistant and paid hourly at the undergraduate student rate which is $13.86.
- Applications will be accepted online and this placement will be filled on a rolling basis.
- Applicants must be available by video conference for interviews.
- Applicants must be eligible to be employed in the U.S.
- To be eligible, applicants must be full-time undergraduate students in good academic standing as defined by their schools.
- Applicants are encouraged to learn more about the OAG prior to submitting their applications by visiting the Divisions and Bureaus and Media sections of the OAG website.
HOW TO APPLY
The following section provides detailed information about the application process and application requirements. Please review all of the instructions prior to preparing and submitting your application materials online. To apply, please click on the following link: POU_ PUGS_SUM_2021
Applications are being received online. Applications are submitted separately for each bureau/regional office, and an applicant’s candidacy for each application is determined separately by each bureau/regional office.
- Applications are being received online. Applications are submitted separately for each bureau/regional office, and an applicant’s candidacy for each application is determined separately by each bureau/regional office.
- The application deadline is April 23, 2021, but please note that placements will be filled on a rolling basis.
The following documents are required for each application that is submitted: (Click on the document name to learn more)
-Address to Legal Recruitment.
¨ List of three (3) references.
-Only submit professional (i.e., supervisor or professor) references.
-Indicate your professional relationship to each reference.
-Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
– An unofficial transcript is acceptable.
– Undergraduate students must be either rising juniors or seniors.
– Select a piece that demonstrates your ability to analyze, synthesize and organize a cohesive document that efficiently and effectively conveys information to your target audience.
Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your candidacy.
Please allow at least three (3) business weeks for your application to be processed and reviewed by the hiring bureau/regional office. After three (3) weeks, to request a status update, please click here.
If you have questions about a placement with the OAG, the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.