Position Title: Senior Patient Coordinator
Division: Weill Cornell Imaging at NewYork-Presbyterian
Supervises Staff?: No
Under direct supervision, the Senior Patient Coordinator performs daily front-desk operations of busy Weill Cornell Imaging at NewYork-Presbyterian practice with multiple modalities.
· Performs daily reception front-desk functions at Weill Cornell Imaging including: Greets patients and visitors in a friendly and professional manner and handles inquiries and provides directions as needed. Using Medicalis RIS scheduling system and Epic, checks-in patients who present for scheduled appointments – marks patient as “arrived.” Provides patients with forms and paperwork and explanation of reason for paperwork and what needs to be completed, including HIPAA forms, etc. Schedules patients using RIS. Provides patient with Epic printout of demographic and patient registration in system and asks patient to verify and correct data. Updates system data as needed. Responds to general questions from patients regarding Outpatient Imaging Center, services offered and health insurance coverage.
· Registers new patients and updates registration of patients already at WMC. Ensures all appropriate forms and paper [i.e., order for exam, AOB, ABN (if applicable), etc.] are received. Makes copies of insurance documents, orders for exams, and other paper documents. Receives documents from patients; scans documents into RIS system under patient’s file. Maintains constant awareness of patient flow and monitors patients in waiting area to ensure that patients are moving along in process of exam. For example, if patient is waiting too long, take the initiative to determine reason for delay by contacting technologists or nurses; then relay reason for delay to patient with expected time to examination.
· Answers phones effectively, efficiently, and professionally in accordance with Weill Cornell-We Care standards. Handles all incoming calls appropriately. Directs/transfers phone calls to appropriate person; assists nurse when necessary. Obtains detailed information and forwards messages to the appropriate nurse, technologist, or radiologist. Confirms appointments for future dates. Assists with scheduling phones as needed.
· Checks out patients after completion of examination and before leaving Outpatient Imaging Center. Explains to patient process by which written exam will be issued to referring physician, to whom report(s) will be sent. Patient may request copies of images (i.e. CD). Collects co-pays and other payments at time-of-service payments (cash, checks, credit card payments). Completes and signs receipt for cash or checks received and secures cash and cash in accordance with WMC and Departmental Cash Control policies. Works with supervisor to ensure that daily checks and cash are deposited on a daily basis. Provides patient with contact information for Weill Cornell Imaging should patient have other questions or concerns after leaving OIC. Schedules follow-up appointments as needed.
· Serves as Radiology Call Center operator during peak hours. Explains billing procedures to patients; refers patients to PO Business Office representative on the site or refer to POBO customer service.
· Maintains routine office equipment (i.e., computers, printers, photocopiers scanners, etc.) in good working order and notifies supervisor of malfunctions if needed. Loads paper into photocopier as needed.
· Maintains own desk and reception and check-out space in a neat and orderly fashion. Maintains awareness of general appearance of Waiting Areas and other public areas – notifies WCMC Facilities/Housekeeping of necessary clean-up.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
· Excellent data entry skills. Previous experience working with various Managed Care Companies.
· Working knowledge of Medicalis, Epic, or Eagle.
· Experience working in a Radiological office or Department
· Ability to speak languages other than English is highly desired – Mandarin, Cantonese, Russian, and Spanish
Skills and Abilities
· Must possess outstanding customer services skills; compassionate, courteous, and helpful phone manner. Must be able to a tactful demeanor while handling a continuous stream of high volume patient inquires.
· Must possess excellent communication skills.
· Demonstrated ability to be detail oriented.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced multi-task environment.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
· Must be able to work flexible hours and weekends.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
· Ability to provide flexible availability to work days, nights, and weekends.