The Bronx District Attorney’s Office is seeking a well-qualified staff whose diverse backgrounds reflect an ability to serve the over 1.3 million members of the Bronx County community and pursue a safer Bronx through fair justice. The Digital Forensics Laboratory, “DFL” (which falls within the Strategic Enforcement and Intergovernmental Relations Division), provides support for the Bronx District Attorney’s Office by forensically analyzing various types of digital evidence, including mobile devices like smartphones and tablets, desktop and laptop computers, portable storage devices, as well as providing assistance in a variety of technology-related areas. The DFL is seeking to hire an experienced analyst specializing in telephone records analysis. The primary responsibility of the analyst will be to liaise with Assistant District Attorneys and other office personnel in performing detail-oriented examinations of telephone records to support investigations and prosecutions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills required (i.e., must possess technical proficiency with formulas)
- General fluency with computer applications and electronic devices
- Readiness to learn about and adapt to rapid changes in technology
- Ability to handle multiple challenging assignments and perform in a fast-paced environment
- Must possess exceptional oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Creative ability to devise formatting solutions regarding large or inconsistent data sets
- Ability to devise an organizational system of raw and processed data tables and deliverables
- Rapid data entry skills as required for specific projects
- Excellent organizational skills, strong attention to detail, and high concern for data accuracy
- Examination of telephone records to ascertain significant call patterns and/or geographic relevance of telephone communications
- Extract data to prepare visual aids for investigative purposes and/or for presentation at trial and/or Grand Jury proceedings
- Testify under oath when required regarding analyses performed
- Reviewing analytical work and visual aids prepared by other analysts for accuracy and quality
- Provide assistance to other analysts in the Office related to GIS platforms and act as a subject matter resource on phone records analysis, geo-spatial mapping, and telecommunication infrastructure such as base station technologies related to GSM / CDMA networks, including LTE / VoLTE technologies.
- On an as-needed basis, conduct drive tests to collect survey information related to cellular towers for further analysis
- Provide assistance in drafting subpoenas and court orders involving telephone records
- Interaction with telephone companies, law enforcement personnel, and/or city agencies
- Achieve certification or demonstrate proficiency in subjects, tools, and methods identified by the DFL
- Other assigned duties and responsibilities to support the DFL or Strategic Enforcement Division
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE/QUALIFICATIONS:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree is preferred in one of the following degrees: electrical engineering (preferred), computer engineering, or computer science (accepted).
- Candidates with prior testimony experience in criminal or civil litigations related to telephone records, or tower interpretation and analysis, will be given preference. If applicable, this should be indicated on both the submitted cover letter and resume.
- Candidates with knowledge and previous working experience related to wireless telecommunication infrastructure, including base station equipment and transmitters, radiofrequency, or LTE technology preferred. If applicable, this should be indicated on both the submitted cover letter and resume.
- Candidates formerly employed by a major telephone carrier or law enforcement agency will be strongly considered (i.e., familiarity with billing records, call routing, dial plans, etc.)
- Candidates familiar with telephone analysis software or GIS platforms will be given preference. If applicable, this should be indicated on both the submitted cover letter and resume.
- Experience/skill in working with databases strongly preferred (please note on cover letter)
* Generally, hours for the position are Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. However, work outside those hours may occasionally be necessary, depending on the needs of the Lab. Selected candidates must be able to work alternate schedules to support the 24/7 nature of the Lab.
Post Until Filled
The Office of the Bronx District Attorney is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Diversity and Inclusion