Kenton Hall is a 108 bed 24/7 emergency shelter for homeless men with substance abuse issues and mental health issues. In addition to on-site rehabilitation services, our comprehensive services include case management, individual and group counseling, recreational activities and housing placement assistance. Additionally, an on-site medical, psychiatric, and dental clinic operates Monday through Friday.
Under the general direction of the Director of Social Services, with some latitude for independent action and decision making, the Housing Specialist is responsible for identifying housing options for the clients, especially the long term stayers, and assisting the clients in preparing and submitting applications so permanent housing can be obtained, the lengths of stay in the shelter can be reduced, and clients can obtain independence and return to their communities; performs related duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties include but are not limited to the following activities:
· Visits housing providers’ facilities to develop and maintain a positive working relationship with them and to get as much information as possible for the clients applying for placement.
· Prepare clients for housing interviews, conducting mock interview sessions, accompanying them on tours of facilities, and in general coordinate and facilitate the referral processes.
· Coordinates escorts services for groups of clients going for housing placement interviews.
· Review and update the tracking system for submitted applications, interviews and selections or denials. Performs special follow-up on any denial of housing applications submitted to housing providers.
· Works collaboratively with Case Managers on housing options for clients and having the documented financial resources for submitting the applications to the housing provider.
· Attends and participates in the weekly Performance for Permanency (P4P) case management conferences.
· Per the discharge documents for clients, participates in 6 month follow-up with clients placed in housing to track their progress in maintaining their new housing.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Social Services
· Submit potential packages and active housing packages spreadsheet every Monday
Job duties generally require the physical activities described below, subject to any necessary reasonable accommodations due to disability. While performing the duties of this position, the Housing Specialist must be able to walk the length of the shelter to see clients and to talk to staff in the various program areas, and as needed to go up and down any of the three staircases, Staircase A with 24 steps, Staircase B with 22 steps and Staircase C with 24 steps, to sit at the computer for extended periods of time to update databases and prepare reports for other staff members. In addition, the Housing Specialist must stand, sit, squat and extend arms to get records from the filing system.
· All candidates must have a High School Diploma and Driver’s License
· A minimum of 1) year of progressively responsible experience working with mentally ill individuals or homeless individuals in finding permanent housing.
· A knowledge of low income housing in New York City as well as special needs housing, including the NY/NY Supportive Housing and Section 8 housing.
· Must have excellent oral, writing and listening skills.
· The ability to work independently and to initiate corrective actions to help clients seeking permanent housing.
· Must have the ability to interface with clients as well as all levels of staff.
· Must have knowledge of case management softwares as well as a proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and EXCEL.
All newly hired Project Renewal staff must provide verification of being fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
To Apply: E-mail resume and cover letter indicating position and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org