WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
RBC Capital Markets
RBC Capital Markets is a premier investment bank that provides a focused set of products and services to corporations, institutional investors, and governments around the world. With more than 7,100 professionals, we operate out of 70 offices in 15 countries across North America, the U.K., Europe, and the Asia-Pacific region.
We work with clients in over 100 countries around the globe to deliver the expertise and execution required to raise capital, access markets, mitigate risk and acquire or dispose of assets. According to Bloomberg and Dealogic, we are consistently ranked among the largest global investment banks.
RBC Capital Markets is part of a leading provider of financial services, Royal Bank of Canada (RBC). Operating since 1869, RBC is one of the top 15 largest banks in the world and the fifth largest in North America, as measured by market capitalization. With a strong capital base and consistent financial performance, RBC is among a small group of highly rated global banks.
Quantitative Trading Summer Program
RBC’s quantitative trading teams are traders who program computers to trade for them. The Quantitative Trading Summer Analyst Program offers an unrivaled opportunity to work in one of these highly technical algorithmic trading groups for the summer, leading to a potential full-time offer. The teams are made up of mathematicians, software engineers, and data scientists who write and manage automated trading strategies. RBC’s strategic objective is to find excellent candidates with a STEM/Computer Science background, hire them onto our platform, and promote the ongoing development of this junior cohort to become leaders in this space.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
As a quant trader, summer analysts can expect to:
- Assist in developing trading strategies, improve the speed of trading systems, and evaluate models and technologies.
- Paper trade in your team’s asset class by working with voice traders to better learn our markets.
- Gain experience for the products your team trades: FX, equities, interest rates, ETFs, etc.
- Become immersed in a comprehensive education program for interns and junior traders/researchers that will develop critical quantitative skills and decision-making capabilities.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED?
In selecting summer analysts and considering full-time offers, we look for the following:
- Anticipated graduation in Winter 2025 or Spring 2026 at an accredited four-year college or university or master’s program.
- Engaged in study of Math, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical field.
- Strong programming skills, with experience in python and at least one compiled language (Java or C++).
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and thrive in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- The most successful people on our teams apply the following principles:
- Be reliable. Product quality code, meet deadlines, follow through on commitments, anticipate and prevent problems.
- Be proactive. Apply even judgement and have the ambition to figure things out on your own.
- Be diligent. Respond strategically to operational issues to instill confidence in our processes.
- Be curious. Continually improve your skills. Take time to deliberately practice new skills and technologies that excite you.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
You should expect the following if you join us:
- Gain a strong sense of ownership and pride for your work—we write code for ourselves, not for customers or a third party.
- Understand what it would be like to have a career in quantitative trading, and work in a leading algo trading team.
- Learn about high-frequency markets, how to write high-performance code, and how mathematics and statistics get applied in a trading business.
- Learn how a professional electronic trading team manages the complexity of their stack and their market.
- Network with other teams to explore career possibilities across finance.
The good-faith expected salary range for the above position is $100,000 depending on factors including but not limited to the candidate’s experience, skills, registration status; market conditions; and business needs. RBC’s compensation philosophy and principles recognize the importance of a highly qualified global workforce and plays a critical role in attracting, engaging and retaining talent that:
· Drives RBC’s high performance culture
· Enables collective achievement of our strategic goals
· Generates sustainable shareholder returns and above market shareholder value