- As a Summer Associate at NPD you will gain a winning advantage. Our Associates learn through immersion, what it means to be innovative, client-centric and continuously growing.
- This Program is designed to give participants an opportunity to broaden their knowledge and develop a solid foundation in the field of market research through a variety of disciplines: consumer research, custom research, quantitative analysis, strategy and broader market insights.
- You will quickly become an integral member of the team, contributing to real world business challenges with your own day-to-day responsibilities. Regardless of where you are placed, you will have the opportunity to work with internal and external clients.
- The curriculum includes basic product knowledge, business specific overviews, technical and professional skills training and career development.
- The program features an orientation, senior management speakers, networking events, a performance evaluation, a mentorship program and a business project.
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate or advanced degree as a Junior with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel (pivot tables, v-lookups and advanced formulas).
- You are analytical, innovative and insightful.
- Have a growth mindset and are a collaborative team player with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A market research background is not necessary as we are looking for distinguished students from various academic disciplines, and are interested in your potential, mindset and passion for the industry.
A brief description of each of our business units is described below:
Client Development/Retail Business Group
With touch points across all the industries NPD tracks, the Americas Commercial Group is responsible for our clients’ engagement and relationship with our products. We keep client satisfaction levels high to maintain and grow a strong revenue stream for our company. Our priority is staying closely connected with our clients. We listen to them to make sure we understand and respond to their needs, keeping abreast of what’s happening in the market and providing relevant insights to help them make effective business decisions.
The Retail Business Group manages our vital relationship with nearly 400 Retail Partners spanning more than 20 industries. The retailers provide essential data for our services. We aim to be integral to our client’s success. The data we provide our industry clients gives them a detailed picture of the market and their place within it. They are searching for ways to improve revenue and market share; they use our information, industry expertise, and thought leadership to achieve their goals.
Global Product Management
The Product group ensures our products remain relevant as the marketplace evolves, and that we develop new products that drive incremental revenue for NPD. The Global Product Management team has a continuous-improvement mindset. We make sure we’re leading in terms of improving our processes and finding the most efficient way to work.
Checkout delivers the most comprehensive view of consumer purchase behavior for general merchandise categories. With more than 50 years in tracking sales and market share in general merchandise and foodservice industries, our researchers have developed expertise in classifying your complex product sets. We benchmark our consumer panel with sales data and methodologies widely accepted as the industry standard.
The Analytic Solutions team works with manufacturer and retailer clients, combining deep insight into purchase dynamics, forward-looking analytics, and high-impact recommendations to give clients confidence that their decisions will drive growth.
There are three phases in the data lifecycle at NPD: data collection, ensuring data representativeness, and insight generation. The Research Science group owns the data representativeness phase, meaning that our information is projectable and accurately represents the consumer populations about which we want to say something. We connect with both ends of the NPD data lifecycle to ensure all the data mechanics are correct and we are getting what we need. Data may also need to be calibrated, projected, or imputed. We also perform a variety of data quality checks. Completing all of these tasks ensures the NPD practice areas that create and manage the products get what they need to do their jobs.
The Information Technology (IT) team makes the data collection, transformation, and delivery processes possible across the organization. We process and analyze consumer and point-of-sale data, applying dictionary matching, machine learning, suppression, calibration, projection, and other rules to produce the data sets. We also develop and maintain software to access, manipulate, and present our data to clients. We are responsible for the equipment, infrastructure, and networking that delivers our data (both internally and externally) and for IT security and disaster recovery.
The Operations team is the primary issues clearinghouse for our clients. Anything related to data issues comes to us, including data inquiries, real or perceived data errors, and questions on methodology elements (e.g., suppression). We also serve as an educational resource, explaining the ins and outs of point-of-sale (POS) data processes. This centralized approach to managing client issues and inquiries puts our clients where they should be – at the center of our business.
A Strong team of corporate professionals is behind our insights and solutions. Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, Legal, and Administrative Support – there is a wide range of opportunities.