Consumer Science Summer Internship- May-August 2021
A better business. A better world. A better you. At Unilever you are more than your job title, you are part of the world’s most successful, purpose-led business. Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Refreshments, Home and Personal Care products with sales in more than 190 countries. In the United States, the portfolio includes brand icons such as: Axe, Ben & Jerry’s, Breyers, Caress, Degree, Dove personal care products, Fruttare, Good Humor, Hellmann’s, Klondike, Knorr, Lipton, Magnum, Nexxus, Noxzema, Popsicle, Q-tips, Simple, St. Ives, Suave, Talenti Gelato & Sorbetto, TIGI, TRESemmé and Vaseline. All of the preceding brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Unilever Group of Companies. We are developing our brands for people’s lives today and for the changing environment tomorrow – aiming to make sustainable living commonplace.
Unilever offers vast and exciting career paths within R&D. Creating new innovations and enhancing our existing brand portfolio – it’s all yours in Unilever’s R&D product development function.
Work alongside brilliant and inspiring business leaders and colleagues. If you want to feel proud of what you do and make others proud too, join us. Get a glimpse into life at Unilever and discover how you can help make a better business, a better world and a better you.
Background & Purpose of the Job
The consumer science research intern is expected to conduct the following main work activities as part of a cross functional project team:
· For Unilever to remain competitive in the future, the business needs to continue its path to explore new science areas. Working with multidisciplinary teams and external collaborators, the team is investigating the relation between clinical imaging measures of skin health and consumer perceptions of skin benefits and appearance (e.g., how moisturized does my skin look and feel?)
· By building models that predict consumer perceptions from clinical measures, we can better understand how to build new product technologies that uniquely meet consumer needs while driving health and well-being.
· We are also interested in remote consumer testing methodologies that help conveniently connect with consumers while promoting safe physical distancing standards.
· Finally, we are interested in understanding the current role of stress and well-being on skin health and skin appearance perceptions.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do:
· With guidance from a mentor and manager, consumer science summer interns will manage one major summer project on their own and are expected to collaborate with team members to do so.
· You’re a born leader: Demonstrate bias for action and ability to drive decision making on your project.
· You’re a dot connector: You will design & conduct experiments, collect & analyze data, and provide technically solid recommendations as a result of that work
· You’re a story teller: You will present your project and results to senior management
· You’re a culture & change champion: You bring your own experiences and uniqueness to the team, which is valued in our inclusive work environment
What You’ll Need to Succeed
· Undergraduate with Junior or Senior status with Coursework/Major in psychology, sensory science, or related field (e.g., concentration/minor in data science)
· Minimum GPA of 3.0
· Willingness to relocate
· Ability to conduct an experimental program to generate relevant, high-quality data with subsequent data analysis and interpretation.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills
· Able to work under pressure in order to meet project deadlines
· Ability to work as part a team (both your own team and cross-functionally) as well as to think/act independently
This Internship Opportunity is available at the following Unilever locations: Trumbull, CT
Life at Unilever is a lot of fun – just like our application process! Check out what you’ll experience when you apply for one of our internships or co-ops:
- Application – Start by completing our simple online application. You can import your details from your LinkedIn profile to speed up the process. You can only apply to one function, so carefully consider which role you would like to pursue before applying.
- Assessment – After your application, if you meet the basic requirements, we’ll invite you to participate in a series of fun games that looks at different cognitive, emotional, and social traits. This will help us find the best fit for you and you will receive personalized feedback after completing the games.
- Digital Interview – Upon successful completion of the assessment, you will be invited to participate in a digital interview where you can solve real-world problems using Unilever scenarios. This will give you insight into our company culture and how we do business. The interview is split into two parts – three short hypothetical questions followed by a business case. You can record and complete your video anytime, anywhere. All you need is a computer or mobile device with access to video recording (usually standard in most devices) and a stable internet connection.
- Discovery Center – Once the interview is complete, we’ll invite our top matches to our offices in the Greater New York City or Toronto areas (depending on which job you applied for) for a truly immersive experience. You’ll get to experience a number of exciting activities and projects along with your peers, meet our leaders, and receive personalized coaching and feedback. The exercises are designed around a real business case study, enabling us to tap into your potential while giving you further insight into what it’s really like to work at Unilever.
5. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe senders list, and ensure your mobile phone number is correctly entered in your application. Please check your spam folder if you are expecting communication.
If you are an individual with a disability and at any time feel you need an accommodation in order to complete any step of this process, please contact us at NARecruitment@unilever.com or (201) 894-7530.
CANDIDATES MUST BE LEGALLY AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE U.S.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law.
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.