Recent winner of Newsday’s Top Long Island Workplaces Award, YAI is a leading health and human service agency supporting people with intellectual & developmental disabilities and their families. Our mission is to help others achieve the fullest life possible by creating new opportunities for living, loving, working and learning. Founded in 1957 as Young Adult Institute, YAI remains at the forefront of an extraordinary movement aimed at empowering people with disabilities. Today we run over 300 programs and are the largest organization dedicated to the intellectual and developmental disabilities community in the New York Metropolitan area. YAI has locations throughout New York City, Long Island, Westchester, Rockland, Northern New Jersey and Northern California.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) is an entry-level position at YAI working directly with people of all ages with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The goal of the DSP is to help people with disabilities achieve the fullest life possible by assisting them in the areas and activities that prevent them from being self-sufficient. Direct Support Professional work can include assisting in education, home care, healthcare outside the realm of medical professionals, transportation, habilitation, family services, vocational education, rehabilitation, or communal living resources. These jobs provide rewarding work that benefits people with disabilities and their communities.
Merrick, Port Washington, Manhasset, Glen Cove, Mineola, Hicksville, Levittown, Bethpage, Melville, Deer Park, Commack, Bayshore, Ronkonkoma, Coram, and more.
- HS Diploma/GED required
- Some college in psychology, social work, public health or other health/human service field preferred
- Willingness to assist people in achieving their greatest level of independent functioning in the areas of personal grooming and hygiene, budgeting, communication, and socialization.
- Fluent English reading, writing, speaking, computer skills necessary to record observations and monitor development.
- Valid Driver’s License required for most positions.
- Tuition Assistance
- Paid sick and vacation time
- 100% employer-paid Medical/ Dental
- Retirement Plan with matching contributions
- Extensive clinical and practical paid skills training
- Supportive supervision
- Growth-oriented work environment
- Merit bonuses
- Discounts on wireless service, gym memberships, & more