Community Habilitation Specialist/ Direct Support Professional (DSP)
Locations in New York: Hicksville, Farmingdale, Glen Cove, Levittown, Old Bethpage, Manhasset, Williston Park, or Westbury.
YAI is now hiring compassionate and ambitious people looking to grow in the field of healthcare and human services. Join our team of professionals helping people with intellectual and developmental disabilities achieve their fullest life possible!
Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Residential Program Manager, work closely with people of all ages who have intellectual and developmental disabilities. Help them achieve their fullest lives possible by empowering them to overcome challenges in areas that would otherwise prevent them from being self-sufficient. This includes providing emotional support and counseling, crisis intervention, medication management, communal living resources, and basic support with activities of daily living. All job-specific knowledge, strategies, and skills are provided as paid training through YAI’s Training and Development Department.
Recent winner of Newsday’s Top Long Island Workplaces Award, YAI is a leading health and human service agency supporting people with intellectual & developmental disabilities and their families. Our mission is to help others achieve the fullest life possible by creating new opportunities for living, loving, working and learning. Founded in 1957 as Young Adult Institute, YAI remains at the forefront of an extraordinary movement aimed at empowering people with disabilities. Today we run over 300 programs and are the largest organization dedicated to the intellectual and developmental disabilities community in the New York Metropolitan area.
- College credits in Psychology, Mental Health, Disability Studies, or related Social Service field preferred.
- Prior experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Immense attention to detail.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluent English reading, writing, speaking, computer skills necessary to record observations and monitor development.
- Willingness to assist people in achieving their greatest level of independent functioning in the areas of personal grooming and hygiene, budgeting, communication, and socialization.
- Ability to participate in 3-5 weekdays of paid NYS Mandated OPWDD initial training during normal business hours upon hire.
- Bonus Pay
- Tuition Assistance for full-time and part-time employees
- Paid sick, vacation, and holiday time
- Extensive clinical and practical paid skills training
- Supportive supervision
- Growth-oriented work environment
- 100% Employer-paid Medical/ Dental
- Retirement Plan with matching contributions
- Discounts on wireless service, gym memberships, & more
For more information about the YAI Network, please visit our website at www.yai.org. YAI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or status as a Vietnam or disabled veteran.