Federal Work Study: Hiring and Application Process


Before being Hired
Student should check their Financial Aid award letter to see if they are eligible to receive Federal Work Study Funds. If a student is eligible for Federal Work Study funds, they may apply to on-campus and off-campus positions posted on Handshake, Mercy College’s online job board.

On Campus: Eligible students receive Federal Work Study funds on their Award letter. Students must maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher to participate in the program. Freshman students without a GPA are required to maintain a 2.5 GPA after their first semester.

Off-Campus: The Federal Work Study program offers opportunities to work off campus with an established work study Community Service Partner. Students interested in off-campus community service positions should follow the same procedures as for on campus positions. Students are eligible for off-campus positions if they have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

If a Federal Work study student has fallen below a 2.5 GPA, they will be on probation for the Spring term. Supervisors may reduce the student’s work hours to allow more study time. Students are expected to bring their GPA back to a 2.5 to be eligible to apply for Federal Work Study positions the following academic year. If a Federal Work Study student has a GPA below 2.0, they will be asked to leave the program to concentrate on their studies.

Applying for Federal Work Study Positions

  • Login to Handshake, Mercy College’s Online Job Board.
  • Students must upload two documents in order to apply for any Federal Work Study Positions:
    • A Federal Work Study Application (uploaded as Document Type “Other Document”)
    • A Resume (Resumes must be approved by PACT Mentor or Career Coach prior to use)
  • Once the student has an approved resume in Handshake and a completed FWS Application, they can apply for Federal Work Study positions which are posted by hiring supervisors.

Supervisors who have posted positions on Handshake will receive the students’ applications. Supervisors may then contact the students whose qualifications meet the requirements they seek for the position.

After Hired
Hiring Paperwork: Once a supervisor offers a position to a student worker, the supervisor will notify the Student Worker Coordinator. Once the hiring paperwork has been completed by the supervisor and student, it will be forwarded to the Student Worker Coordinator for processing. Students will need to have two forms of identification to establish employment eligibility. Students should have a copy of their passport or State photo ID and Social Security Card to meet this requirement. If a student does not have these documents, it will delay processing their hiring papers.

Time entry
Students are hired at minimum wage and are encouraged not to start their employment until they have received notification that they have a time saver password and can enter their time in the timesaver system. Once the student is in the time saver system, their supervisor will approve their timesheet and the payroll department can pay their salary. Students will receive a paycheck for a two-week period as illustrated on the pay schedule available on the web site.


Federal Work Study Process
Supervisors who are interested in hiring student workers need to post their job on the Handshake website. A message is sent to supervisors in late summer with details for posting. For instructions on how to post your Federal Work Study Position, please Click Here

Supervisors/departments who have not submitted a job posting to the Handshake website will be unable to interview and hire Student Workers.

Once your position is submitted and approved, students will apply directly to the Handshake Federal Work Study Program postings. Supervisors will review the applications and contact the students they wish to interview.

Supervisors should discuss during the interview:

  • What the student’s availability is for the semester?
  • Does the student commute or reside on campus?
  • Will the student be available on weekends?
  • Is the student able to commit for the academic calendar year?

Process for hiring the Student Workers
Once a student has been selected by the department, the department should notify the Student Worker Coordinator and forward for processing the completed hiring paperwork to the Student Worker Coordinator. Students should not begin employment until they receive a password to the payroll timesaver system to enter their time worked for supervisor approval.

  • Supervisors are expected to review the student contract with their students. Click here for the contract.
  • Supervisors are responsible for approving their student workers hours worked in the Banner system. Time entry should be completed through Banner Timesheets.
  • Supervisors are responsible for making sure the students in the program do not work more than 17 hours each week.
  • At the end of the academic year, supervisors are expected to provide a student evaluation, please click here for the evaluation form.
  • Supervisors need to complete a Change of Status form for student workers to change their status: termination or campus employment at the end of the academic year.