Here are some helpful tips to set you on the proper path:
- 📆Keep the Commitments You Make – show up for your interviews and meetings. If you are unable to, call the organizer as soon as you know
- ⏱Be Punctual – Always arrive early and ready
- 🙂Be Positive – Show up happy to be there and focus on the good stuff. Even if the task is small (cleaning out the file cabinet?) do it with a smile!
- ✍Be Quick and Accurate – Try to beat your deadlines for assignments. Double check your work to ensure it’s error-free
- 📈Be Proactive – If you finish early, ask for what else you can help with
- 💼Be Professional – Use your work computer for work (avoid logging onto personal e-mail, checking Facebook, etc.).
- 🍴Dining Out – If on a business dinner, order an appropriate meal. Do not order the most expensive thing on the menu, and let the host order first. Observe basic table manners
Watch this video below to learn how to be a standout candidate and utilize your business etiquette!
A Career Fair is an excellent place to seek out internships, job opportunities and learn more about various companies. It is also the perfect place to network. Career Fairs looks a little different right now! Watch the Career Academy below to learn how to prepare for a virtual career fair.
Career Fair Preparation
If you want to make the most of your time and the opportunity a career fair presents, follow these tips:
- Clarify your reason for attending: to look for a job or internship, to network, etc.
- Visit the Career Fair website to see which companies and organizations will be attending
- Review employer websites to determine which companies pique your interest
- Update your resume and bring enough copies
- Prepare to talk to employers about their companies – what they do, their culture, mission, etc.
- Practice talking about your strengths, experience and career goals
- Pick out a professional and clean suit to wear.
Watch this video below to learn about networking and career fairs!
CONNECT AND BUILD YOUR NETWORK
LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network on the internet. You can use LinkedIn to find the right job or internship, connect and strengthen professional relationships, and learn the skills you need to succeed in your career. Watch the workshop below to get started on making your profile and maximizing your online presence today!
Utilizing Your Current Network
You may not realize it, but you have already started networking. People you are close with, such as friends and families, are routinely interacting with you, offering advice. Now is the time to step it up by treating them like contacts. Start explaining the type of job or career you are looking for and ask if they have any thoughts or suggestions as to who to contact. They may know someone in a related area of work who might be available to talk to you about the company and the industry as a whole.
Watch this video below from our Dive Into LinkedIn series: