Watch our Career Academy on Networking & Professional Communication and take our quick survey to participate in the raffle by December 12th, 2018. Read more about how you still have time to participate in Career Academy!
Here are some helpful tips to set you on the proper path:
- 📆Keep the Commitments You Make – show up for your interviews and meetings. If you are unable to, call the organizer as soon as you know
- ⏱Be Punctual – Always arrive early and ready
- 🙂Be Positive – Show up happy to be there and focus on the good stuff. Even if the task is small (cleaning out the file cabinet?) do it with a smile!
- ✍Be Quick and Accurate – Try to beat your deadlines for assignments. Double check your work to ensure it’s error-free
- 📈Be Proactive – If you finish early, ask for what else you can help with
- 💼Be Professional – Use your work computer for work (avoid logging onto personal e-mail, checking Facebook, etc.).
- 🍴Dining Out – If on a business dinner, order an appropriate meal. Do not order the most expensive thing on the menu, and let the host order first. Observe basic table manners
Click here for a great article titled “10 Tips for New College Grads on Workplace Etiquette” by Ashley Terrill Ettenson.
A Career Fair is an excellent place to seek out internships, job opportunities and learn more about various companies. It is also the perfect place to network. The next Mercy College Career Fair Date will be announced shortly!
Career Fair Preparation
If you want to make the most of your time and the opportunity a career fair presents, follow these tips:
- Clarify your reason for attending: to look for a job or internship, to network, etc.
- Visit the Career Fair website to see which companies and organizations will be attending
- Review employer websites to determine which companies peak your interest
- Update your resume and bring enough copies with you
- Prepare to talk to employers about their companies – what they do, their culture, mission, etc.
- Practice talking about your strengths, experience and career goals
- Pick out a professional and clean suit to wear. Below are some guidelines (courtesy of NACE):
What to do at a Career Fair
Once you are at the Career Fair, there are a number of factors to keep in mind while interacting with employers and learning more about various companies and organizations. It can get a bit overwhelming at first but with some preparation, you will have a great experience.
CONNECT AND BUILD YOUR NETWORK
Utilizing Your Current Network
You may not realize it, but you have already started networking. People you are close with, such as friends and families, are routinely interacting with you, offering advice. Now is the time to step it up by treating them like contacts. Start explaining the type of job or career you are looking for and ask if they have any thoughts or suggestions as to who to contact. They may know someone in a related area of work who might be available to talk to you about the company and the industry as a whole.
Making New Connections
Speaking with Mercy College alumni who are currently in the field you are hoping to break into is a wonderful way to network. They have been where you are now and can offer a lot of advice in regards to the industry, potential job openings and key individuals you should add to your network.
A popular professional social network is LinkedIn. As you make connections, you will have access to your contacts network and can ask for various introductions. Join the LinkedIn Mercy College Alumni page! If you are still a student, log into the Student LinkedIn site where you can search for jobs by location, function or industry.
How to Make the Most of LinkedIn: